question for the 9mm guys

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by atlsrt44, Nov 1, 2010.

1. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

I've got a friend thats looking to get his first handgun and 9mm is where he is heading. So what guns should I recommend? He plans to carry and keep it for home defense. He'd like to spend in the $550-600 range

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

some polymer-framed, medium-sized, double-action auto (or safe-action trigger, like a Glock or XD or S&W M&P series).
    Something that holds 12-15 rounds.
    Something that has good sights.
    Something that is pretty popular and has a bunch of aftermarket accessories and holsters available.
    Bottom line, he's going to have to go to gun stores or gun shows and handle and shoot several models to get a good idea of what feels good to him.

3. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

Any of the following are good guns:
    Glock 19, 17
    S&W M&P 9
    CZ-75B
    CZ-P01
    Sig P250
    FN FNP-9
    Springfield XD-9
    etc. etc.

Any of the above manufacturers are pretty solid, it's mostly a preference of ergonomics and features. Does he want a manual safety? Does he prefer the DA/SA, DAO, or the Glock trigger system? Which gun points better?

There's no one correct answer to these questions, he needs to go to a shop, see how they feel in his hand, and preferably be able to go a range where he can rent some of his options so he knows what he's looking for.

4. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Polymer weapons can be good choices for many, but they can be aesthetically dull, imho.

My first 9mm recently purchased is an all steel CZ-75B SA. It can be carried cocked and locked, and the single-action-only trigger is nice and crisp.

Capacity is 17+1 with Mec-Gar flush-fitting magazines, and the heft of the gun makes even +P loads a pleasure to shoot at the range.

5. Yocain

Yocain New Member

All of the aforementioned are fine weapons. I prefer the XD and Steyr M9A1 myself. He needs to visit an indoor range with a good variety of 9mm pistols for rent and see what seems to fit best. Test drive as many as you can.

6. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

7. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

Single stack mag for me,
    thinner/lighter makes for much easier carry

if you need 18 rounds you need more practice

8. jabara572

jabara572 New Member

in 9mm? I suggest the Noisy Cricket

[​IMG]

:mrgreen:

9. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Not always. Lots of armed robberies and home break-ins occur with a gang of multiple thugs. I'd like to neutralize them all without reloading mid-stream. Others may not. To each their own.

10. BWCustoms

BWCustoms New Member

Springfield XDm 3.8"

20+1 9mm

[​IMG]

11. fmlaw1

fmlaw1 Active Member

All good (or entertaining) points mentioned above.

Most importantly, is whether he is experienced or not. because, a trigger-based safety is not to be played with. So, unless he has very good gun handling habits, I'd stay away from the Glocks, XD, and M&Ps. If that is not a problem, I'd go M&P.

I want to like Glocks, but they have never shot well oe felt good in my hands. I like the XDs just fine, but the M&P feels the most controllable - I would take either.

An alternative to the plastics is a S&W 3rd Generation (6906, 6904, 3913, others) 9mm. About $400 in VG condition, double or single stack, about 12+1 capacity, steel slide on alloy frame. Extra magazines are $31 at CDNN. So for his budget, he should be able to get a pistol, three mags, two holsters and a mag carrier.

Rent & shoot, since feeling good in the hand and feeling good while shooting may be two separate results.

12. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

This.

What of you are facing multiple attackers? More rounds may be needed.

Do you know 100% that you will hit your mark with every shot under stress? More rounds may be needed.

Do you carry the minimum life/auto/health/home owners insurance, or do you have extra coverage, just in case?

13. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

I might be biased, but I'm looking at the Ruger SR9 as my next carry gun. A slim profile with 17+1 should make it a good all-around EDC. Plus it has a manual safety that might be important if this is his first handgun. I've heard good things from others who have it.

I'm reminded of a recent news item that caught my attention.

14. pml

pml Active Member

I own a CZ 75BD and a Ruger SR9. The CZ is superior as a house defense weapon, the SR9 is easier to conceal and carry. If I'm in the woods, I open carry the CZ. I like them both. I'd like a Glock 19 as well.

15. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

Have your friend start weighing the pros and cons of size, weight, and capacity if this will be an EDC. Also start narrowing down holster types.

A gun belt and an old cellphone pouch might be the most informative way to find out about weight. Fill a plastic bag full of fishing sinkers until the required weight is reached. Sizing basics can be covered at any range that has a decent Glock lineup.

Everybody else has plugged good info on specific models.

16. Nothclif

Nothclif Member

I got a xd9sc for edc, absolutely love shooting it. I suspect a full size would be better for his needs. But any of the guns listed above would be a good choice...just go handle some and see what fits best :)

17. no clever name

no clever name New Member

You should be able to get a used sig p226 in your price range.

18. dam294

dam294 Active Member

This would be my advice as well. He should rent as many as he can from different manufactures to figure out what is best for him.

I also disagree with steering a new handgun owner away from the Glock's, XD's, M&P's and others with a similar "trigger safety". My first handgun was a G22. I had a lot of experience with rifles and shotguns and even a revolver a few times while growing up. My friends and I always followed the safety rules, one of which is to keep your finger off of the trigger until you are ready to fire.

When I purchased my G22 the thought process was the same for me (Keep your finger off of the trigger until you are ready to fire). I never gave the trigger safety a second thought and with 17 years of G22 ownership I have had exactly zero ND's, AD's or other unintentional discharges.

19. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

20. burtgummer

burtgummer New Member

Springfield XD/XDm

Ruger SR9C for compact carry.