Question for old timers : 9mm .45ACP

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by kestak, Apr 23, 2007.

1. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

Question for you old timers:
    I read a little bit on the web about the never ending discussions concerning the 9mm vs .45ACP. My understanding is that there is not much difference stopping impact wise for HP type. 9mm is faster, .45 is heavier.

If you would have to carry a concealed, would it be a 9mm or a .45?
    Did you ever notice a difference impact wise? I read a hunting site and the guy said the .45 killed "better" than the 9mm.

Thank you

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I choose 9mm and this is my rational:

If the argument is that FMJ .45 is better than FMJ 9mm then a JHP 9mm that expands to larger than the size of a FMJ .45 must be fine.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I have shot a lot of deer with expanding 9mm bullets. They suck.

How's that for proof? :lol:

4. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

What happened with the deers and the 9mm? Did you ever shot deers with .45 JHP too?

Thank you

5. Malum Prohibitum

Nothing. That's my point. Very ineffective.

No, so in fairness, it could be the same thing. .44 mag works well, though. A .308 works better. A .45-70 works fine, too.

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Shooting a dear with a low powered handgun round? That just seems cruel.

7. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

EFMJ 9mm has a 40% mushrooming and has an average 4 1/2 inches penetration.
    EFMJ .45ACP has a 35% mushrooming and has an average 7 inches penetration.

I guess you need to hit the deer quite right and not in the shoulder or the front...

Thank you

8. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

That's why Nugent uses a 10mm Glock 20 or an S&W 44 for hunting with a handgun.

9. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

9mm round, by police laboratory standard, that work the best is a 124-grain to 127-grain JHP with a 1250 feet per second. NYPD (30,000 officers carrying 9mm JHP using Speer Gold Dot +P 124-grain).

I am still wondering what it would be for them to carry a .45ACP instead of a 9mm......

Thank you

10. Dan H

Dan H New Member

I'm pretty sure I could stop a BG with a 9mm just fine.

11. kestak

kestak New Member

12. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

these guys know more of the science of it but I know for me I can hit targets better with a 9mm so FOR ME that is a better carry round.

i have euthanized a deer with a 9 mm and once again it is all about placement. meaning between the eyes and down the neck.

Plus I am more likely to carry my 9mm than I am a .45 so I guess that is another factor for me. Of course I don't have my GFL yet so that may change once I can actually carry and not just carry around the farm

I sorta go along with the carry something so long as you carry...

13. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

The only sure ways to put a BG down is to: disrupt the CNS, incapacitate through the complete loss of blood pressure, or breaking their will to continue the fight.

I achieve the first through a shot to the head. But a head sized target is hard to shoot under pressure, while you are both moving, and distance may be a prohibiting factor. So I generally dismiss this as viable.

Breaking their will to fight may take as little as a .22 or as much as a 00 buck to the gut. I dunno what it will take for each person so I cannot rely on that.

Your best bet is to bring their blood pressure to zero by making multiple holes in key areas. Shooting an attacker's pelvis gives the shooter an advantage that is two fold. First, you are going to break their skeletal support system for the body. Break their pelvis and they will fall. Second, there is a high concentration of blood vessels and major arteries in this area that can aid in rapid blood loss.

With my 9mm I have more rounds to inflict damage with and I can do this rapidly and accurately.

I trust my 9mm to get the job done.

14. Malum Prohibitum

Not as cruel as not shooting them.

15. Foul

Foul New Member

Not to mention that there is a faster target reacquisition with the lower kick of the 9mm as compared to the .45.

16. Malum Prohibitum

I was using 124 grain. I was this impressed ----> :|

17. Malum Prohibitum

Tried that.

18. Malum Prohibitum

My .308 in the neck shuts 'em off like a light switch!

19. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Pistols to rifles is apples to oranges.

20. Malum Prohibitum

I do not doubt it. I just wanted to provide my personal experience on little 120 pound Bambis.