Question for any LE persons

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by GunCrazed, Jun 11, 2007.

1. GunCrazed

GunCrazed New Member

Alrighty, I have a friend that lives close by and was given a Glock .357 because it was a little damaged.

My buddy, Shane, happily accepted the firearm but had some concerns. He doesn't know if the gun is stolen because of how badly it was damaged. He is 90% sure that it isn't because it was a family member that gave it to him.

I told him about this site but he was afraid to say anything to you all. If I were to give you the serial number on his gun... is there anyone that can tell me whether it is stolen or not. He said if it is, he is going to go turn it in to the police station and if it isn't he is going to fix it up.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help,
    -GC-

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I know there isn't such a thing as gun registration in Georgia. And I would assume that the only way the serial number would be recorded for such a purpose like that if it was reported stolen. I'm not 100% on that, though. I'd wait for a REAL LEO to answer that. :lol:

3. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Here's the thing....oh...and I'll preface this by saying I am not a LEO or a lawyer.

He can take the gun down to the station LEAVE IT IN THE CAR. Did I mention to leave it in the car? Ask someone there to run it.

If it comes up green, then off you go.

If it is hot, be prepared to surrender the weapon to the 5-0.

4. GunCrazed

GunCrazed New Member

Hahaha - thats what I told him to do... but he is afraid he will be arrested. I tried to explain to him thats a slim chance but still a possibility.

5. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

You are correct. The only way that it would be in the system as stolen would be for the serial number to have been entered in NCIC with a theft report.

---

I don't think that he would face any legal issues by taking it to the PD as Ramm suggested and requested that it be run. In fact, I think that it would show good faith on his part. If he is too scared to do that he needs to get rid of the gun altogether.

---

What kind of damage does it have?

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I guess it's a good sign that the serial number is actually still there.

7. GunCrazed

GunCrazed New Member

Theres some damage to the inside of the barrel because his nephew that gave it to him was firing 9mm out of the .357, which is ok but not recommended.

The front sight is missing, not a real big deal though.

And the gun itself has something inside where you insert the mag that you can hear scratching the gun/mag when you slide the clip in. Maybe dirt or something... but he doesn't want to mess with it until it is cleared.

8. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

good point

9. GunCrazed

GunCrazed New Member

Pretty good idea ya got there though.

I will let him know and see if he can muster the courage to do so. Thank ya fellas. I appreciate the info.

10. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Off Topic... Guncrazed, the guy firing the pistol in your avatar is using an odd grip. One of the fingers of the weak hand is in front of the trigger guard. Is that normal? Any advantage to doing that? Almost looks like he's bump firing or something :?

11. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Some people like to "hook" their finger on that little nub that sticks out.

Always felt really awkward to me.

12. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

That was a grip style that caught on for a little while. That's why you see some pistols with checkering on the front of the trigger guard.

13. GunCrazed

GunCrazed New Member

I found that it helps in the recoil control a good bit. It takes some getting used to though. If you get the feel for it then the recoil from your shots will be more controlled and the accuracy of your shooting will improve.

14. GunCrazed

GunCrazed New Member

To add to my previous post, the full clip of that avatar shows the Glock in all its full auto glory! Which is why he uses that unique grip and has such a tight hold on the trigger.

FULL VERSION OF MY AVATAR: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhqQubbiJUo

15. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I learned to shoot like that as well, since both of my pistols have a grip surface there. I'm still a terrible shot, though :(

16. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I forgot to add that it would be better for the officer to have the pistol in hand to run teh serial number. If there was an NCIC hit, it would be presumed the officer had possession of the pistol, and the original reporting agecny would be notified through the system of the system hit.

17. NetAdminWithGun

NetAdminWithGun New Member

Just tell him i'll give him 20 bucks for it.

18. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

Boy am I disappointed, I thought Glocks where impurvious to damage. I thought the only thing that they could not withstand is AD's (if your LEO's) and NC's (if you a civie'). After all they are the most dangerous gun ever made........
    :rotfl: