question carrying a long gun

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by efman, Sep 25, 2010.

1. efman

efman New Member

hey guys i'm new and have a question. i am 20 years old and live in north georgia, i like to leave a long gun behind the back seat of my double cab truck because i do alot of camping,fishing,hunting ect. my question is according to this http://www.legis.ga.gov/legis/2009_10/v ... APP_23.htm is it legal to have my long gun stored away behind my back seat, and if so can it be loaded or does it have to be unloaded? sorry if this has been covered before but i just want to make sure i am fully legal! thanks guys :righton:

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Is the truck licensed/registered in your name?

If it isn't, it isn't legally "your" truck. If you are under 21 you can only legally carry a loaded firearm in your personal vehicle, not a vehicle owned by another person.

3. efman

efman New Member

the insurance is in my name so i believe the answer is yes. does this mean i can carry loaded and unloaded? or just unloaded?

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Insurance is irrelevant. Is the title/registration in your name?

If it is, you can legally have a loaded firearm in the vehicle.

If the title/registration is in someone elses name (ex:you mathers/fathers), you can not.

5. gunsmoke50

gunsmoke50 New Member

And this is why Georgia law needs to be changed because if its family or friends own the vehicle and they allow you to use it for like hunting/fishing or any other reason it should be legal thats just my feelings ,,Like today at the City park we was at I feel that you should have a right to carry a rifle in any park including,,City Parks, County Parks,State Parks, WMA's when hunting season is not going on..Sometime a handgun isn't the best tool in the boxs sometimes you need more like for bear when camping on state parks land or WMA ,I can think of events were its a meet and greet on city or county parks for youth firearm training like 4h did back in the day with the bb team and shotgun team for Forsyth County,,, So yea the law needs to be changed even for people like you that are 20 and have no legal right to carry a handgun on you but if you wanted to carry then the only right you have is legal rifle carry which is limited in away if you say want to carry any gun in a city park its illegal so real we must have a change in the law and allow someone that doesn't have a right to carry handgun the right to carry the only option is rifle anywhere in the state of Georgia that I can carry a handgun because I have the GWL...

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

UNload and case for hunting = legal

7. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

We'll all celebrate your 21st birthday. At issue is ownership of your vehicle. If you own the vehicle, you may have a loaded firearm inside, and it may be concealed. If it's not your vehicle, you're out of luck. Get your Dad, or whomever, to sign over the vehicle for a buck, and get the title in your name. The law needs to be changed so an 18 year old could get a GWL. After all, they can die for our country at 17!

8. gunsmoke50

gunsmoke50 New Member

Yes but not when someone is under the age for a GWL but old enough to buy and carry a shotgun or rifle loaded for self-defense anywhere in the state of Georgia,, But any park that you might like to carry loaded and your under the age for GWL then you find yourself unarmed and defenseless so 18 to 20 should have a option to carry rifles anywhere they wish,,Whats a unloaded firearm its a paperweight,,,And I think the unloaded and in a case law needs to go,,, where you have a right to carry loaded any weapon you want thats a Second Amendment right...