question about types of gun i can carry w/GA Firearms lic.

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Seanmay11, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Seanmay11

Seanmay11 Guest

I was thinking about buying a full auto M11 with a silencer, im going to go through all the processes to get it legally and pay the government tax and wait a few months to get it. Can i carry this gun?

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

How else are you going to get it from one place to another?

BTW, you will need to pay the transfer tax for each item.

3. Seanmay11

Seanmay11 Guest

yea i know i have to pay the taxes, its probably going to cost me about 5500 for the gun, silencer, and the fees.

4. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

OK, no one else has said it so I'll be the one to put on the tin foil hat.

:foilhat:
    I would be concerned that IF you are ever in a situation where you needed to defend your life with it, you may be viewed by prosicutors as "looking for an excuse" by having such an arm as your carry piece.

5. ThetaReactor

ThetaReactor Active Member

You might get away with it, but it might be very, very inconvenient. Here's a description of the case of Gary Fadden. After attempting to elude his armed assailants over more than 20 miles of road, he stopped and returned fire with a select-fire .223 rifle. While he was found not guilty, he spent many years paying off the legal fees...

http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum ... 46172.html

[And this was 1984, when MGs were still vaguely accessible.]

6. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Yes, it is legal to carry a MG with the GFL in Georgia (but not in some states).

That said carrying a M/11 is a poor choice for a CC weapon.

Here's why:
    1) They are expensive. Why take a chance with a gun that valuable.
    2) It will most likely not look good to a prosecutor or jury if you have to use it.
    3) If you are charged with something, it may be a rare use of a MG illegally.
    4) It is full auto. Its shoots too damned fast to be worth a flip in a real world situation. Full-auto will increase the chances of hitting something you aren't intending to.
    5) A M/11 is actually a pretty big gun to try to CC.
    6) If you had to use it, it could get bad publicity. "You can even walk around with a MG in Georgia."

YMMV, but it is legal.

It might be neat to occasionally open carry it though.

7. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

If you messed up and accidently wondered into a PG and were spotted by a LEO you'd loose your valuable gun. Since there are only a limited number of transferables, this would be one out of circulation forever.

8. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I cannot confirm this but I've read on the Internet when Florida first passed their CC law, you could carry MGs. Then one CCW holder pulled his legally registered M/11 out and shot several cars up with it in a parking lot. Florida then changed the law, not allowing the carry of MGs with a CCW.

Like I said, this could be real or just Internet rumor. It is true that it is illegal to carry a legal MG in Florida, even with a license.

9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

You must have never shot one of these.

It fires from an open bolt. This means you have to carry it with the chamber open and exposed, or carry it closed, in which case you will have to cock it to fire.

Without the wire stock and the hold down strap, it is difficult to control where you are aiming. These control devices take time to deploy (in addition to the time you already took to open the bolt) and therefore the gun is probably not suitable for a fast developing self defense situation.

It might be different if you had advanced warning that a mass of people were going to squeeze through your front door, but this weapon is not a good choice for carry unless you are in a Katrina situation or something similar and need the visual deterrence.

I say this as the owner of a Cobray version. It is not a good carry gun.

10. Seanmay11

Seanmay11 Guest

I haven't shot the m11 but i have shot a select fire uzi they have the open bolts, i didn't have any problems with emptying the entire clip in the target all the way down the range (not sure about distance) I mean it wasn't a perfect group but all but two rounds where in the chest on the target. I dont see why people say you can't aim a full auto weapon. I know a more powerful round would be hard but a 9mm isn't bad, well atleast that uzi wasn't

11. jeepsterwannabe

jeepsterwannabe New Member

Re: question about types of gun i can carry w/GA Firearms li

Is Seanmay a mall ninja in the making? :shock:

12. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

The M11 has a very high rate of fire (over 1000rpm for the 9mm version, 1200 for .380) and is not accurate. If you ever have to use this to protect yourself, you will at a minimum sent 5-10 rounds downrange every time you hit the trigger. You are 100% responsible for where those rounds go...looks like a liability nightmare for you.

Also, if you ever have to use it, or even get hassled for having it, the media will be on you like white on rice. It will cast a bad light on everyone in the shooting community, and confirm some folks' idea of us as unstable, violent-seeking malcontents.

We all have had Charles Bronson fantasies of opening up on the bad guy with something like this...but it's best to leave it in the fantasy world. In the real world, you are asking for a world of trouble.

13. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

Re: question about types of gun i can carry w/GA Firearms li

Not to be an ***hole but is this you?
    seanmay11 google

14. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

They make slow fire conversions for M/11s now. Slow fire convereted M/11s are pretty accurate and are very popular for use in submachinegun competitions.

15. Seanmay11

Seanmay11 Guest

No thats not me, and what the hell is a mall ninja?

16. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

17. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Ok that was friggin hilarious. I simply can not believe that those guys were real though. That had to be a total put on.

18. Seanmay11

Seanmay11 Guest

LMAO ok the mall ninjas are fuckin hilarious, i haven't laughed for that hard in a long time lol. And no im not another mall ninja i just like shooting full auto firearms from time to time and would like to be able to carry them on me to the range and since im usually on a motorcycle i cant really keep it anywhere but in a holster on me.

19. jeepsterwannabe

jeepsterwannabe New Member

Glad you enjoyed the mall ninja report as much as we did, I hope I didnt seem like a trouble maker, I was only trying to be funny.

20. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

ok for those of you that know what this means I have to do it. not directed at any one, just an internet meme.

DEREK SMART!
    :popcorn: