Question about SKS rifles

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by kestak, Jun 7, 2007.

1. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

In my never ending quest to protect my family against the next zombie invasion, I am looking at the SKS rifle.

Can someone explain to me how it is working with the magazine? By looking at the pictures, I thought it was like a mosin nagant and it was a fixed internal magazine and it looks like you can buy 30 rounds magazines to fit your sks. So, how does it work (Don't hesitate to write a
    detailled explanation because I am quite "dumb")?

Thank you

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Don't hold me to this, I'm no expert. I believe that you can get an adapter that attaches to the rifle where the fixed mag is that allows you to used 30 round AK mags. I have heard that it takes a little modification to work properly.

Edit: Here's a link to how to do it. http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/30roundergl.htm

3. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Standard was a 10 round internal magazine that was loaded via 10 round stripper clips. In later years of the SKS, some where produced that would accept AK mags. You can get 20 and 30 round mags for the SKS that will fit it as is, but they are sketchy when it comes to reliability.

Which SKS are you considering.

4. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

I was looking at the one at www.jgsales.com.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php ... 31d6113320

I got my AK from them and I am quite satisfied of the quality of the weapon. Moreover, I have 2000 rounds of 7.62x39 and I think it needs another gun to be able to be used to when the zombies will hit our neighbour.

My understanding is that rifle is C&R eligible too.

Thank you

5. Macktee

Macktee New Member

One of my (few) friends smuggled an SKS home from Viet Nam. He said it had a beautiful red plastic stock and he was sooooooo very proud of it. Unfortunately, some :censored: head broke into his house and stole some stuff including his SKS. It killed him, but he didn't mention it to the cops investigating the break-in as he didn't want to admit owning an illegal gun. Bummer....

Another semi-buddy claims to have smuggled an M-16 home from Viet Nam. He also could never report it stolen because he stole it from the Marine Crops and it's the full auto version for which he doesn't have a tax stamp...

Yet another buddy used to work for Colt in the early 70s. Like many other employees, he took advantage of the employee discount and purchased an AR-15. He then waddled out onto the factory floor and picked up the sear and selector switch (I think he said that was all that was necessary) to convert it to full auto. Of the three, he's the one I'd believe first... So, I guess he really does have a full auto, illegal, M-16... I asked him to leave it to me in his will.........

6. rajl

rajl New Member

The SKS is a fixed, internal magazine, that is fed by stripper clips. Works like a Mosin (fed from the top, emptied from the bottom).

There are both detachable and fixed after market magazines you can buy for your SKS. In both cases, you dissassemble your SKS, pull out the fixed magazine, and insert your after market magazine. The detachable magazines have the connector on the magazine slightly redesigned so that it's not fixed. You can't quite slap them in and out as fast as an AK or AR mag, but it's much faster than loading from stripper clips.

7. GrimJack

GrimJack Active Member

I have an SKS that came with a 30 round detachable SKS magazine. These look kinda like an AK mag with a duckbill sticking forward of the top. The original one that came with the gun had serious issues, I purchased a 20 round plastic mag and another 30 round metal mag and both work fine. The are not the quickest on or off mags in the world, but not too bad. I suggest pulling the bolt back when you attach the mag. Also be careful if you strip the firing pin out of the bolt, some have been know to go in backwards or otherwise seize in the bolt and cause an unanticipated and uncontrolled full auto. Also don't grab the exposed parts of the gas tube after shooting 60+ rounds, they are hot. Don't ask me how I know this. :D

8. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

That price seems very high. Plus you'll have shipping prices.

9. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

Thank you all for the answers!

Legacy38, this is a like new SKS if you look at the description. They have some cheaper. Do you know of another place where they are cheaper and like new?

Thank you

10. GrimJack

GrimJack Active Member

For a like new I think that is a good price. I paid $168 for a definitely not new looking one, if the description is correct I would pay the extra for one that sounds that nice.

11. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I paid $120 for mine during a special a Franklin's a couple of years ago. I see them at gun shows in good shape in the $150 range or so.

If these things have jumped up in value that much I need to put mine up for auction.

12. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

13. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

I already have an AK-47 WASR10. It is just that I would like to have a SKS too. Who knows, the zombies can become impervious to the AK-47!!!

Seriously, the SKS is C&R eligible, it is why I prefer to buy one than an AK too.

Thank you

14. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

The price seems kind of high.

I had one in my hands a couple of months ago in the same shape for $175. Didn't buy it but went back a couple of weeks later to get it and it was gone.

The SKS is designed with a fixed 10 round mag. You can load it with stripper clips or each round indivdually. I have read that changing the stock 10 round fixed for one of the 20 or 30 round fixed mags will cause reliabilty issues for some rifles. If you want one buy it. They are fun rifles to shoot and are reliable as long as you don't booger it up with a bunch of aftermarket crap.

The SKS-D were made by Norinco back in the early 90's. These were imported in until the Clinton ban. These were SKS rifles designed to take standard AK mags. These can still be had but expect to pay a premium price for one because they are somewhat rare and are in great demand with collectors. I bought one in 1995 when I turned 18 for around $200. I loved it but decided to sell it. I still kick myself in the butt for that because they have gone up so much in price. I have not priced any lately but I think depending on condition they are fetching as much as AKs are, in the $350-400 range.

15. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

I've also got a chinese SKS that I've used with one of those "duckbill" 30 round detachable magazines. I've never had it give me a single problem. Fired all 30 rounds, many many times.

I usually just use the 10 round internal one though. Easier to use on a bench when at the range. 8)