Question about shooting

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by kestak, Jul 17, 2007.

1. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

I am having an argument with my friend.

Here is the scenario: I am walking in the neighborhood when a dog comes, barks, and shows its teeth. In other words it acts very aggressively.

I pull out my handgun and shoot a round in the ground that is a nice Bermuda grass and scares the dog.

My friend says it is negligent discharge of a gun and I would have been better to shoot the dog. I say I would have more problems if I would have shot the dog without showing bite marks or having a witness to prove I was afraid to be armed by the dog.

Here we do not take into account what was the right “defensive†move to do (Shoot the dog, shoot in the ground or not shoot). We talk about the legal repercussions.

Who is right?

2. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I'm with your friend. You're intentionally using deadly force for a situation that doesn't require it (if it did, you'd have shot the dog). If not negligent, it's at least not a good idea. If you're really worried about this particular situation, get some pepper spray, but avoid any Texas Constables ;)

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I disagree, but I think it makes little difference either way. I am assuming you thought you were about to be bitten. So you HAVE to shoot the dog? Nah . . .

4. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Take a quick :sly: around and :shoot: the dog.

Just kidding.

I don't think that its necessarily negligent discharge, but it is probably excessive to scare a dog (depending on the breed of course).

If you kill it without justification, then you will have lots of problems. Of course discharging your pistol will also result in lots of problems.

5. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I'd get a badge first, then :shoot: away.

6. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

I think you would actually face a charge if you discharged the firearm without attempting to kill the dog. Of course, you could always just claim you missed :)

7. Mobster989

Mobster989 New Member

It depends on some circumstances but I woudn't shoot the dog if it simply shows its teeth and barks and I wouldn't shoot the ground nearby either. I think I'd have to wait for the dog to be more aggressive, it'd have to make a move towards me before I'd start shooting. I've walked past dogs as they barked at me before, usually the barking is fine it's the growling you have to watch out for. I'm not saying I walked right up next to them though.

I guess it all depends on your comfort level but I definitely wouldn't fire a warning shot when dealing with an animal.

8. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

For the sake of the argumentation: I know very well dogs and I am sure the dog is in the red zone and ready to attack, however, the attack may or may not occurs. Here the key words are I know it is in the red zone.

Thank you
    P.S.: For those of you that do not know what red zone is, put very simply, it is a dog with a high level of excitation translated into uncontrolable aggressivity by his master.

9. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I still hold with shooting the dog. You could claim to miss, but you need to be able to tell a jury that without giving yourself away. I'd probably wait too long, just to be legally, but not physically, safe :/

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Just say no to warning shots.

11. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

+1

If I'm all the way to the point that I've drawn my weapon, put my finger on the trigger, aimed, and fired, I've already decided that I'm justified in killing whatever it is that I'm aiming at and shooting.

12. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

I agree.
    If you believe the dog is in the "red zone" as you say, then kill it. Of course I am assuming here that the dog has come out onto the road off the owners property. (I'm thinking rural here, not downtwon Atlanta. I really hope you would not discharge into the sidewalk! :wink: )

I actually have a similar problem where I live though I would never shoot the dog I have considered shoot into the ground. Good sense has always prevailed though & I've never so much as drawn. My wife & I run & ride bikes on a roadway that has a home with dogs. LOTS of dogs. While most are fru fru wastes of dog flesh, one is a big yellow retriever. The owner has no fence, no chain, no invisible fence. Nada. Almost everytime we go by this house the dog charges, barking, runs across a major 2 lane road and pulls up making a fuss at us. If we are riding or running he will follow. I can yell at him & he will stop & he is not in "the red zone" but he is being agressive & a pain in the arse. The owners are negligent. This dog is obnoxious & it's not his fault but theirs. I should go beat on the door & have it out with them but I have dogs that run around on my property & I would rather them not end up poisoned or some such so I've not confronted them. I hate irresponsible people. :x

13. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

Agree.

14. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

15. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Is there a Korean restaurant locally?

16. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

[​IMG]

Believe it or not, that book is actually a dog food recipe book. The title is a bit misleading, though. :shock:

17. merlock

merlock New Member

:lol: