Question about petsmart carrying

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Peter, Jul 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Peter

Peter New Member

I just applied for my concealed carry permit. but have my blue card (armed security) and if I’m on duty but have a quick errand to run in petsmart can I open carry in the store ?? (my job allows me to be open carry) I can’t find anything online and this one store I do not see a no weapons sign in front of the store should I be okay??

2. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

FTFY

99.999% sure the company will not allow you to openly carry unless you are a law enforcement officer. There is nothing illegal about doing it anyway if you decide to disobey their company policy, but if management tells you to leave the property, you must comply or risk being charged with criminal trespassing if you refuse.

3. Suburbbus

Suburbbus Well-Known Member

I have been in quite a few Petsmarts open carrying and no one has ever said anything or even given me a second glance. Spoke to many managers about various things. Carry on.

4. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Same here. No one at PetSmart has ever said a word. I don't think anyone ever even noticed. If they did there was no reaction to indicate they noticed.

5. nutnless220

nutnless220 Member

The blue card laws prohibits stopping while openly armed and in uniform. Just have to change your shirt. Doubtful the store will care ether way. Course, lot of liberals in Petsmart.

6. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

You can't carry your duty firearm anywhere (open or concealed) under your blue card except to, at and from work. For carry anywhere other than work you need a GWCL.

https://advance.lexis.com/documentp...kkk&prid=0be6eb34-a1b8-493b-8f32-f4393dac7ae9

O.C.G.A. § 43-38-10(c):
    All licensees and registrants under this chapter shall be required to obtain from the board a weapons permit under this Code section if a firearm is carried, or is to be carried, by such licensee or registrant while at or en route directly to and from his post or place of employment.

7. GAfirearmsReference

GAfirearmsReference Weapons Law Booklet

Peter, your question is really about "blue card only" carry, rather than Petsmart carry. Anywhere in public you go, not sent there to work as a guard for that place, will raise the same legal issue.

The most common and well known Georgia gun laws are found in Code sections 16-11-125.1 through 16-11-129.

125.1, the definitions section, says the term "license" only means a GWL issued to regular people per Code section 16-11-129.

So, your blue card won't work to excuse you from any of these laws, IF those are the only laws we consider. and, obviously, one of those laws says you have to have a GWL to carry a firearm out in public away from your home, your automobile, your private property, or your place of business .

But, read Code section 43-38-10, which is one of the special set of laws regulating businesses and persons in the private security industry.

43-38-10 Flatly exempts people like you (armed guards) from having to follow any of the laws from 16-11-126 thru 129.

But it ALSO says that you may only carry that firearm while you are either on duty or directly traveling to and from that duty without any stopovers along the way !

So it seems like the legislature does not allow your blue card to serve as a substitute for a GWL for any side trips you may make going to and from work.

It *is* possible to be arrested and charged with a gun law violation for doing what you propose, but more likely an officer in the field responding to a call at Petsmart would not arrest you or ticket you,

but if the board of Private Detective and Security Agencies got a complaint about it, they may administratively sanction you or revoke your blue card.

8. GAfirearmsReference

GAfirearmsReference Weapons Law Booklet

Peter, your question is really about "blue card only" carry, rather than Petsmart carry. Anywhere in public you go, not sent there to work as a guard for that place, will raise the same legal issue.

The most common and well known Georgia gun laws are found in Code sections 16-11-125.1 through 16-11-129.

125.1, the definitions section, says the term "license" only means a GWL issued to regular people per Code section 16-11-129.

So, your blue card won't work to excuse you from any of these laws, IF those are the only laws we consider. and, obviously, one of those laws says you have to have a GWL to carry a firearm out in public away from your home, your automobile, your private property, or your place of business .

But, read Code section 43-38-10, which is one of the special set of laws regulating businesses and persons in the private security industry.

43-38-10 Flatly exempts people like you (armed guards) from having to follow any of the laws from 16-11-126 thru 129.

But it ALSO says that you may only carry that firearm while you are either on duty or directly traveling to and from that duty without any stopovers along the way !

So it seems like the legislature does not allow your blue card to serve as a substitute for a GWL for any side trips you may make going to and from work.

It *is* possible to be arrested and charged with a gun law violation for doing what you propose, but more likely an officer in the field responding to a call at Petsmart would not arrest you or ticket you,

but if the board of Private Detective and Security Agencies got a complaint about it, they may administratively sanction you or revoke your blue card.