Question about open/conceal carry.

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Watch_Their_Hands, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Watch_Their_Hands

Watch_Their_Hands New Member

Since I now have my GFL, I will be carrying open as much as possible. Starting with my bank later on this afternoon. My question is this:

As it's getting warmer, I will be wearing t-shirts more, and at times I will be wearing one tucked in with another over it unbuttoned and open. Is this open or concealed? Should I expect any questions from sheeple, LEO's, anyone else? Thanks.

2. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

Yes and yes....

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

That's concealed. But it really does not make much difference.

As for questions, it won't happen much, but be prepared to sell your position in a friendly and convincing matter. I have had one or two friendly conversations with curious people that really did not know anything about the law or Georgia's firearms license, and they went away as converts.

A word of caution about the bank. I carry concealed in my bank, first out of concern that somebody would trip the alarm, then, once I realized that the bank had a ghostbusters symbol over the gun sign on the door . . .

4. Watch_Their_Hands

Gotcha, MP. Gearing up now to sell my position should the need arise. :wink: :lol: Ghostbusters...

We visit our bank 2-3 times a week and know each of the ladies there well. Our kids go to the same schools, etc. Gonna give it a try and see what happens. Will visit the local Citgo on the way. :wink: Thanks.

5. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

I open carry in my bank and the tellers are always happy to see me come in. They give me a big smile and say that they always feel safer when I come in.... :D

6. Watch_Their_Hands

That's encouraging, USMC - Retired. :D

7. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

I believe Wachovia is a no go.

8. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Bank of America has had friendly tellers every time I have open carried there.

9. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Congrats on getting your GFL !!! :righton:

That's how I dress the majority of the time. I call it semi-open carry. My gun is covered, but is easily exposed if I reack for a pocket or if there is a breeze. I've never had a problem except for my wife "reminding me" every time she can see gun.

10. Watch_Their_Hands

Good to know, Adam5. My wife asked me yesterday about getting her GFL. :shock: She is going to apply soon. Hard to believe though, as she has never hated guns, but has always been leary of them.

She told me yesterday evening that she thought mine looked sexy on my hip. Must of been the gun, not the hip. :lol: Anyway, glad she has decided to get her GFL.

Our bank is United Community Bank. Shall see how they react in about 45 mins.

11. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

USAA: no branches, no tellers, no ghostbusters signs

Perfect.

12. Watch_Their_Hands

Carried into our bank yesterday. Went fine. Teller looked at my gun then smiled. Carried to and into our local Citgo also. Not a word or strange look.

Going to a wholesale store called Fred's in Cleveland today, and to a local Dollar General store (dog treats). We'll see how it goes.

13. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Most people who open carry for the first time are amazed that A) no one notices or, B) no one cares.

I know I was.

14. Watch_Their_Hands

Yep, I was. I will probably be for some time to come. :D

15. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Not anymore, though. I was shopping in Home Depot in Fayetteville recently, and I had trouble finding an item and ended up having to ask directions from two different employees, both of whom courteously helped me and never mentioned the gun.

I had trouble at checkout (stupid self serve checkout!) too, and was helped by another employee.

No comments. Nothing. For all I know they did not even see it.

No "incident."

I do keep a copy of the Home Depot letter in my car, just in case, and I have it in my pocket while inside the store (habit, just in case), but, apparently they have already seen it, as I have never had to show it . . . I will probably stop carrying the letter with me.

16. Watch_Their_Hands

I carried into Fred's, a gas station, the Dollar store and a restaurant today. Not a word from anyone, although the girl's eyes at the counter in the Dollar Store went wide for a second as she took my credit card. :shock: :lol:

Smooth day.

17. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

See...open carry is fun.

18. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

My first time my heart was pounding like a jack-hammer. I was soooo sure everyone was staring at my gun. Nobody was, of course.

I really don't OC that much around here. I print like a mofo though. I figure if it's legal to open carry it's legal to look like I have an obvious gun-shaped object under my t-shirt. I'm not trying to be obnoxious, I just don't feel the need to dress so I cover it up 100%... unless I"m at a :cantsay:

19. Watch_Their_Hands

Yep, Rammstein, it's great fun. :D I will make it a point to carry open as much as is legally possible.

20. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

I was suprised. I carried into Blockbuster last night. My weapon was in a IWB holster but it was easy to see (black gun against a white shirt). No one said anything or seemed to notice. On the other hand, it wasn't very busy and there were no soccer moms inside.