question about classified etiquette/courtesy

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by Myright, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Myright

Myright Freedom Loving Citizen

If someone has a firearm for sale and it has been acknowledged via PM that the deal is to be made, pending funds transfer and scheduled meetup, wouldn't you think it is etiquette/courtesy to make note on the ad something to the effect of Sold pending Funds?

There is a current deal I have made with someone on a different forum and rather than changing their ad to such a status, they up the price after agreeing to sell to me and give me an excuse via PM that they can't make the already scheduled time/date because they forgot to pick it up from somewhere.

2. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Sounds like they got the impression that they undervalued the item. Poor form but what you gonna do?

3. Myright

I'm tempted now to cancel with them and just go buy new, seeing as it's only $50 difference. Their actions and excuse just don't sit well with me.

4. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Have to agree with you on that one.

5. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

If the forum has a feedback system and their rules say that was a done deal, then leave negative feedback. Help your fellow forum members out by knowing who not to deal with.

6. HCountyGuy

HCountyGuy Well-Known Member

Well, free market and whatnot. But I would certainly leave feedback or a reply to their add reflecting upon their less-than-honorable practice.

And yes, you should buy new if the price difference is so minimal. I, personally, am not going to buy a used item for close to what it's worth new, outside of very special circumstances. At least then you have a factory warranty and know what is and isn't in the gun.

7. Myright

Ha :)

After calling around to a few gun shops, I was able to purchase the very same firearm new for $10 less than what he was asking for his used one.

8. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Glad to hear it. Enjoy you NEW weapon!

9. mb90535im

mb90535im Well-Known Member

"A man is only as good as his word" is my motto in cases like this.

10. adams454

adams454 Member

I would screenshot your conversation and post in on his ad.

11. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Some people prefer to buy a used weapon at slightly higher prices to avoid having to go through the 4473 even though they could with no issues. I guess they figure the govt doesn't need to know what weapons they own.

12. Myright

I thought he form doesn't provide the government with info about the type(s) of gun(s) being purchased. It only lets them know firearms are being purchased.

13. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Not on the portion completed by the buyer but Section D, questions 24-28, completed by the FFL are the Manufacturer (24), Model (25), Serial Number (26), Type (27, and Caliber or Gauge (28 ) of each weapon transferred or attempted to be transferred on form 4473.

14. carnut

carnut Member

I see quite a few private handgun adds priced close to new or sometimes higher than new, not asking for GWL or bill of sale. There must be a market for them out there. New buyers not savvy to shopping around, questionable buyers, privacy concerns, or just could be a hard to find model. It's up to the seller requiring a peek at your GWL to eliminate the Questionable buyers. I also like a bill of sale to cover my butt if the gun is misused and the serial number comes back to me. Not so much for rifles, just handguns.
    EG: Have a friend, handgun stolen 10 years ago. It was used in a crime last year, LEO showed up at his door, he retrieved the old police report that he had filed away, that was the end of the story. No problems.

15. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

That is the NICS check, not the form 4473.

16. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

As UtiPossidetis mentioned, that info is on the 4473 but isn't included on the NICS check. Should the FFL lose his license or otherwise go out of business, all those 4473s are turned over to the ATF. ATF agents have also been known to copy 4473s during audits.

17. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Doesn't have to go out of business, can simply move across the street. Other things like changing ownership, etc. also trigger it.