Question about carry thru school zones

Discussion in 'GWL News & Information' started by Macktee, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Macktee

Macktee New Member

I understand it's OK to carry thru the 1,000' school exclusion zone in the course of peaceable transit or some such wording.

I've always assumed that applied either whilst in a vehicle or as a pedestrian.

Is walking down the sidewalk in front of a school on my way to Publix permitted or not?

I certainly hope it is because I've done that on several occasions by walking between two schools on opposite sides of the street.

Sooooo? Am I a criminal or not? :jail:

2. ber950

ber950 Active Member

:? You will just have to ask the appeals court after :jail: However, they seem to have a problem with simple english. :2cents: Either way it should be fun to watch. :popcorn:

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?t ... tion=127.1

(d)(1) This Code section shall not prohibit any person who . . . is in the ordinary course transacting lawful business . . . from carrying, possessing, or having under such person's control a weapon within a school safety zone; provided, however, it shall be unlawful for any such person to carry, possess, or have under such person's control while at a school building or school function or on school property, a school bus, or other transportation furnished by the school any weapon . . .

4. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Here's one that's related that occurred to me the other night.

I was driving down Fair Rd. (one of the main thoroughfares in Statesboro, and one that borders the GSU campus) when I saw several Boro PD doing speeding stops. Most people, including myself when I've been stopped, pull into one of the school parking lots as they're large, out of the way of everyone else, get both cars out of traffic, etc.

If I'm carrying, and I pull over and stop on University property, am I breaking the law? I think the officer would be understanding... after all, the only reason I stopped in the "school safety zone" on university property was because I had to.

Would I be better served in continuing to drive, then explaining why I did not stop immediately?

5. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

When I was stopped on that same road in presumably the same spot as they were doing it last time I kept driving.

I kept driving until I was not going to pull into school property. I was a little worried that he would think I was gonna bolt.

6. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I say you'd be okay. You weren't making an effort to enter campus with the firearm. You simply yielded and stopped in a practicable spot.

7. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Unfortunatly, you may not be the officer that stops him. And the law does not make a specific exception for that example.

I would not advise pulling off the road onto school property. :2cents:

There are a lot of officers out there with good sense, but not all.

8. Malum Prohibitum

:-k

See where this is going? :D

He was charged with that, too.

:shock:

http://www.georgiapacking.org/caselaw/jordanvstate.htm

9. Axeman

Axeman New Member

I buddy of mine many years ago was pulled over by police and they didn't like where he pulled over and gave him an additional ticket.

I agree, there are many great cops with common sense, but I would hate to get the "one" who may cause even more trouble for you.

On the other hand I can see driving for a while without pulling over, making most folks a bit nervous and if he asks about firearms, well.... fill in the blank. :shock:

10. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Stop right where you are. Let the officer tell you to move if he doesn't like your being on the road.

11. Malum Prohibitum

:righton: Well, as close to the right hand side of the road as practicable.

12. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Sure, if you feel like it. :lol:

13. Malum Prohibitum

Feel like it? I always thought that was a legal requirement . . .