Question About Buying Privately

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by jisaiah14, Jun 17, 2016.

1. jisaiah14

jisaiah14 New Member

Hey everyone. I have a quick question. I am in talks with a gentleman about trading a decent laptop for a Springfield XD and a Marlin Model 66. I have never purchased privately from a stranger (only from trusted friends/family so all I have ever done paperwork wise was a bill of sale with the make/model/seriel number/name/date and us both signing it). My question is what all should I have included in the bill of sale paperwork? Any other things I need to do/be weary of (I do plan to ask him if he has a permit as I prefer to deal with license holders)?

2. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

I can't think of anything...except making sure he's a Georgia resident (but you will have that covered by seeing his GWL).

3. Suburbbus

Suburbbus Well-Known Member

I don't offer a bill of sale unless the buyer wants one. I do ask to see a Ga D/L and a GWCL if they have one, but it is not mandatory. They only need to be 18 and a legal resident of GA. I do always ask "Is there any reason that you cannot own a firearm in the state of Ga.?" If they answer "no" and have proof of age, I have fulfilled my obligation as a seller.

4. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

+1