Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If an airport is, as some say, a "government building" and guns may be prohibited may I notify management or security upon arrival and must they store my handgun for me while I am there? For example I arrive on the airport campus via MARTA so I won't have a car to store my handguns.

I was thinking that I might open carry a loaded black powder cap and ball pistol in addition to the draco pistol.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
kwikrnu said:
If an airport is, as some say, a "government building" and guns may be prohibited may I notify management or security upon arrival and must they store my handgun for me while I am there? For example I arrive on the airport campus via MARTA so I won't have a car to store my handguns.

I was thinking that I might open carry a loaded black powder cap and ball pistol in addition to the draco pistol.

Thanks.
First on airport carry which according to the thread below sounds okay now:
viewtopic.php?p=741128#p741128

Second on storage:
OCGA 16-11-127(d)(2) said:
To a license holder who approaches security or management personnel upon arrival at a location described in subsection (b) of this Code section and notifies such security or management personnel of the presence of the weapon or long gun and explicitly follows the security or management personnel's direction for removing, securing, storing, or temporarily surrendering such weapon or long gun; and
I'm thinking no...

·
Banned
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I finally got through to someone at the airport police office that said carry is okay. Lt. Mason 404-530-6630
I have an audio recording of the phone call.

Thanks.

I thought removing was removing the weapon from the person not as in removing from the site.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
kwikrnu said:
I finally got through to someone at the airport police office that said carry is okay. Lt. Mason 404-530-6630
I have an audio recording of the phone call.

Thanks.

I thought removing was removing the weapon from the person not as in removing from the site.
wouldn't that be "temporarily surrendering?" If the weapon was surrendered...they would be storing said weapon until "temporarily" expires. :?: :?: :?:

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,110 Posts
Your question is about the airport, but I'll comment on government buildings in general.

Yesterday at a lawyer's Continuing Legal Education seminar on the subject of the Second Amendment and Georgia gun laws, another lawyer asked why he couldn't check his weapon at the courthouse the way cops do, so he could be armed as he traveled to and from the courthouse building.

The answer was that such a provison had been proposed before, but widely rejected because it created an unfunded mandate that would burden counties. The cities and counties that run these government buildings don't want to install gun lockers, or add more of them for all the armed civilians. They don't want the hassle and security issues involved with storing deadly weapons and making sure they are safely returned to the right persons later in the day.

The law says you can tell them you're armed and ask them what to do with your gun, but don't expect them to keep it for you. I did that with a small pocketknife at one courthouse a couple years ago, and they said they normally confiscate them and never return them (but they did store mine, for me, this one time). Expect that what they will tell you to do with your weapon is get it off their property.

Actually, that's not what they'd tell YOU, KwikRnu, when you march into a government building with a "pistol" that looks like a sawed-off machinegun. What they will say to you is
"GUN! HE'S GOT A GUN! BANG! BANG! BANG! Shots fired, Suspect Down, roll EMT's...."

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Our local courthouse will "store" your pocket knife (as will the heath department). They will put it in an with your name on it,never tried to carry a gun in there tho.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
gunsmoker said:
...sawed-off machinegun.
What is a "sawed-off machinegun?" :roll:

A MG can have a barrel of any length (I know YOU know this).

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Kwikrnu, we just got airport carry...

Don't f*** this up for everyone else...

·
Banned
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hunley said:

You've had airport carry since SB 308 passed. The mayor just recently admitted it. I open carried my ak pistol on MARTA and in the airport while I ate lunch and wasn't harrassed.

How exactly does legal open carry **** this up for everyone else? Many people say it but many don't understand or practice, "a right unexercised is a right lost."

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Because there is alot of wake b/c of the Az ahootings. No one wants to see you add fuel to the fire by forcing your weird way of excersing your rights in a govt. building.Thats all Im gonna say. I have done good by ignoring this guys posts and Im gonna continue.

·
Banned
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jmathis84 said:
Because there is alot of wake b/c of the Az ahootings. No one wants to see you add fuel to the fire by forcing your weird way of excersing your rights in a govt. building.Thats all Im gonna say. I have done good by ignoring this guys posts and Im gonna continue.
I've done well by ignoring those with your attitude. I believe open carry of a firearm shouldn't be restricted. Next time I'm in Atlanta I'll probably carry a bunch of 33 round magazines and my glock 32.

I've also heard that long gun carry was legal in GA. I'm going to look into carrying my saiga-12 with a drum magazine.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
best of luck to you with that.I would recommend Dekalb county to test your experiment.I am all for excersing our rights dont get me wrong. I just believe that your way is not valid in this day and age. If all it took was a nutcase with a AK pistol to change the laws GCO wouldnt exist. Now days with all that goes on people dont wanna see your Ak,Saiga,33rd mags plastered all over you strutting all over like a puffed up rooster.GCO and other groups have worked hard to prove that Licensed carriers aren't whack jobs with guns.What you are doing may be legal but its not common courtesy. May your endevors work out for you but I dont see anything happening but more lawsuits b/c you feel wronged.

·
Banned
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jmathis84 said:
best of luck to you with that.I would recommend Dekalb county to test your experiment.I am all for excersing our rights dont get me wrong. I just believe that your way is not valid in this day and age. If all it took was a nutcase with a AK pistol to change the laws GCO wouldnt exist. Now days with all that goes on people dont wanna see your Ak,Saiga,33rd mags plastered all over you strutting all over like a puffed up rooster.GCO and other groups have worked hard to prove that Licensed carriers aren't whack jobs with guns.What you are doing may be legal but its not common courtesy. May your endevors work out for you but I dont see anything happening but more lawsuits b/c you feel wronged.
Tennessee has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country. If they are not overturned I will move to GA.

·
Banned
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kingfish said:
jmathis84 said:
If all it took was a nutcase with a AK pistol to change the laws GCO wouldnt exist.
Ask him how it is working out for him in his home state.
The lawsuit is moving along, dismissed at the first level. Now I'm waiting for the judge to rule on a motion to amend the judgment. After that comes the appeal to the court of appeals, then asking the tn supreme court to hear the matter, then the us supreme court.

In other news GCO lost it's case too...

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
kwikrnu said:
Hunley said:

You've had airport carry since SB 308 passed. The mayor just recently admitted it. I open carried my ak pistol on MARTA and in the airport while I ate lunch and wasn't harrassed.

How exactly does legal open carry **** this up for everyone else? Many people say it but many don't understand or practice, "a right unexercised is a right lost."
I agree that a right not exercised is a right lost. HOWEVER, there is a difference between me wearing business attire and OCing a compact handgun around town and you parading around Hartsfield-Jackson with an AK pistol.

I get it. I really do. A majority of the voting public doesn't. That's where my problem comes in. You strap on a gun and wear it openly in public, and you represent all of us. Gun carriers have become a minority, and therefore easily targeted by the public and politicians.

·
Banned
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hunley said:
HOWEVER, there is a difference between me wearing business attire and OCing a compact handgun around town and you parading around Hartsfield-Jackson with an AK pistol.
I have a handgun with greater capacity and which will defeat most ballistic vests. Your business dress may make you a target and the compact size of your handgun may not be a deterent.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Can we say "egomaniac"?

Noun 1. egomania - an intense and irresistible love for yourself and concern for your own needs
cacoethes, mania, passion - an irrational but irresistible motive for a belief or action

I am not a health care provider. This is just my personal opinion. Last I heard, we are all still entitled to that.

·
My Name is Inigo Montoya
4,025 Posts
CountryGun said:
Can we say "egomaniac"?

Noun 1. egomania - an intense and irresistible love for yourself and concern for your own needs
cacoethes, mania, passion - an irrational but irresistible motive for a belief or action

I am not a health care provider. This is just my personal opinion. Last I heard, we are all still entitled to that.
I would be inclined to agree...

1 - 20 of 64 Posts