Quality paddle holster?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Boy Racer, May 22, 2007.

1. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

Right now I've got a leather Galco belt slide for my S&W 60 and a fabric (cordura?) Uncle Mike's paddle for my Baby Eagle.

I carry the 60. I love the high-ride and angle of the belt slide, but I need the ability to put on and take off more easily that gettin' haf nekkid in the parking lot every time I swap on/off.

I have never used the paddle holster for carry, only for... storage I guess. But I really like the idea of the versatility it affords the wearer. So that's what I want to do with my 60.

What are my options for a quality, OWB paddle holster for my 60? It doesn't need to be leather like the Galco, but I'm also not ruling anything out.

Manufacturers: who should I look for, and who should I avoid?

I know I can do a Google search, but I wanted real world, ITF opinions. Thanks.

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I'll go ahead and say it for Ramm:

Comp Tac

3. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Awesome, they redesigned their site since the last time I visited.

4. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Andrews Leather (www.andrewsleather.com) has a nice paddle rig. It has a clip on the body of the holster that pulls the pistol in tight to the body. I don't know it is on the web page or not.

For an easy on/off holster that I really like, check out the Laredo Defender from www.kdholsters.com

5. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

6. maddog

maddog New Member

You could check out www.blackhawk.com there CQC Serpa come with belt loop or paddle setup and adjustable canter. I use mine daily with G17.

7. Dan H

Dan H New Member

G-Code is nice too, I have one. I also like Comp-Tac's paddle.

G-Code- Relatively inexpensive, Kydex, good quality, good retention, with retention adjustment. It comes as two pieces and makes you able to order different paddle attachments for different cants or IWB. It also has the belt edges wide enough to prevent swaying. Additionally, no part of the gun will touch the body as the kydex contuors up the slide.

The Comp-Tac is a tad more expensive than the G-Code. Excellent quality kydex. Good retention with adjustment. One piece and does not cover the entire gun so the gun will touch clothing/body. Holds the gun closer to the body than the G-Code. Has wider belt clips than G-Code for nearly no swaying with a more simplistic design than the G-Code.

Correct me if Im wrong on any of this...

My next purchase is the Infidel IWB with Belt Clip and Shirt Tucker strut for some flexibility.

8. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I don't know about private sector training facilities, but GPSTC and at least one other facility have banned the Serpa holsters after multiple student NDs when using them, and I have also heard of concerns of the retention device getting jammed with debris.

9. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

I'm a Comp-Tac disciple as well!

10. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

+1 more for Comp-Tac.

11. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I've got a comp-tac, but it's IWB.

12. ber950

ber950 Active Member

13. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I had a std Fobus when I had my .45 Baby Eagle and really liked it. It was inexpensice, held securely, concealed well, and was easy to take on and off when I went somewhere off limits. I currently have a Fobus Roto for my G17 that I don't like. It seems that no matter how much I tighten the screw that is supposed to lock the rotation, it rotates every time I get in the car.

14. tony218

tony218 New Member

i know henry co. motor officers carry the serpa.
    that's what i carry in i like mine the retention device
    does take some getting used to.

15. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

They seem to be selling well, but the HC guys will not be able to use them in training.

16. Blackadder

Blackadder New Member

I had a Fobus for my G20. It wasn't a bad holster, but it's not as hard and smooth as kydex so it turned out be a dirt-magnet. I started seeing a good bit of holster-wear in a short period of time, so I checked and found it was full of dust and grit.

I carry IWB or with a CQC pancake, but The Comp-Tac FBI paddle is the best paddle holster I've found for the money. I have it on good authority that this Safariland holster is also a exception paddle-carry option. http://www.safariland.com/products.asp?id=154

17. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

How high does the Comp-Tac ride? I like it so far.

But this safariland that's been linked looks impressive as well, and advertises a high-ride option. [edit] Nevermind, they don't make a paddle holster for the S&W 60. Dang. [/edit]

Decisions, decisions...

18. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

I'm glad someone else said this. I have one & it's pretty good though I am guilty of OC'ing with it sometimes too. :oops:

19. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I didn't mean to spread something false. I guess I missed the particular model when I said that. My observation was based on that video, basically. :oops: