Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
68,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.themercury.com.au/article/20 ... -news.html

"Pump-action shotguns are military weapons. They do not have any role in real competitive shooting in terms of accuracy and they are not necessary for shooting sports."

Mr Browne said the changes should be vigorously resisted because they put the entire community at risk.

"Shotguns are extremely lethal at killing and injuring people at short to medium range," he said.

He said pump-action shotguns presented a significant danger to police.

"It means that the person with the gun is better armed than the police," he said.

Mr Browne said the laws that were enacted in 1996 remained as appropriate today and there should not be any need to make them any less stringent.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2010/12/27/195841_tasmania-news.html

"Pump-action shotguns are military weapons. They do not have any role in real competitive shooting in terms of accuracy and they are not necessary for shooting sports."

Mr Browne said the changes should be vigorously resisted because they put the entire community at risk.

"Shotguns are extremely lethal at killing and injuring people at short to medium range," he said.

He said pump-action shotguns presented a significant danger to police.

"It means that the person with the gun is better armed than the police," he said.

Mr Browne said the laws that were enacted in 1996 remained as appropriate today and there should not be any need to make them any less stringent.
woah how does a pump action shotgun make you better armed than the police?? My oldest memories of cop shows is the pump shotgun sitting in the front of the cop car

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
Tasmania....
I 'spect the Tasmanian Highway Patrol doesn't have access to pumpguns, unless they are stored in the bottom of a bunker since 1941 to ward off Japanese hoards....

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
"There is no other group in the whole of Tasmania that has any interest in making those sorts of guns more freely available," Mr Browne said.
Except for citizens.

What should we expect from a country that is trying to ban toy guns too...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Sounds kind of ridiculous.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
rainmaker said:
I don't think they qualify strictly as military arms, but they are arms, as in "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed".

Of course the general population in the US is better armed than the police (perhaps not in the quality of the arms, but certainly in quantity), just do the numbers.
We have that right here, but this article is about Tasmania where they aren't so lucky.

·
Registered
156 Posts
dcannon1 said:
rainmaker said:
I don't think they qualify strictly as military arms, but they are arms, as in "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed".

Of course the general population in the US is better armed than the police (perhaps not in the quality of the arms, but certainly in quantity), just do the numbers.
We have that right here, but this article is about Tasmania where they aren't so lucky.
Yeah, just noticed that after I posted.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,149 Posts
A pump action shotgun holds only 5 rounds of ammo.
If you were hunting, wouldn't it be reasonable to want to fire up to 5 times without reloading?
I've seen deer stand still as you miss them with the first 3 shots, and finally they get nailed on the 4th, but even then you might want to have one extra round in the gun in case the deer gets up and needs another hit to stay down.

I agree that most "shooting games" could be done with a double barrel, with a capacity of only 2 rounds, but then again all we have to do is change the rules of the game and the distances involved and we could have fun and competitive shooting games that are only for single-shot .410 caliber shotguns.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
SheriffOconee said:
Tasmania....
I 'spect the Tasmanian Highway Patrol doesn't have access to pumpguns, unless they are stored in the bottom of a bunker since 1941 to ward off Japanese [s:1szhickl]hoards[/s:1szhickl] Hordes....
FTFY Sheriff

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Of course they are military weapons. Flintlock muskets were too, and can be quite dangerous in the hands of citizens. If you don't believe it ask the British. :wink:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
ber950 said:
Of course they are military weapons. Flintlock muskets were too, and can be quite dangerous in the hands of citizens. If you don't believe it ask the British. :wink:
It seems that most military weapons/tools eventually end up in the hands of the public: AR's :rifle: , duct tape, night vision goggles :ninja: , mind control :bowdown: (infomercials), canned food :popcorn: , trench coats, GPS (I think), the internet :cpubeatme: (no, wait...that was Gore). I don't think being (slighty) better armed & trained than the police makes you some kind of threat. Again we find someone that wants to reduce the general population to sheeple. :sheep:

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
A once-great land where men and women were free, self-reliant, and proud, has long-since given in to the nannies. Sad.

Also, note the reference to..

a 28-day cooling-off period

1 - 12 of 12 Posts