Publix Encounter

Discussion in 'Citizens Encounters' started by HCountyGuy, Sep 9, 2015.

1. HCountyGuy

HCountyGuy Active Member

As I was waiting to deposit a check, I was approached by an elder gentleman. As he approached he offered a smile and said "I like your cover", referring to my hat with elements of the Gadsden Flag.

He started talking about how he also carries, and had a .380 in his pocket. We chatted for a bit about guns, mindset, and even touched on the recent incident where a local cyclist was robbed of his bike and gun.

Before we parted ways, I handed him one of the GCO cards in my wallet, and suggested he give the organization a look.

2. johnski

johnski Active Member

My local publix is a liberal student magnet. Worse experience so far has been a rather large tall man who may have been a professor who stared at me across the way as I was pouring change into the coin machine. He looked upset and started rolling his eyes and huffing and puffing. Lol. I was oc a 9mm pistol at the time.

3. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

Lucky he didn't try to SWAT you...

:panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic:

4. SimbaLion

SimbaLion Banned

I think that 'huffing and puffing' thing is a symptom of a mental defect.

5. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

Or at least a character flaw.

6. SimbaLion

SimbaLion Banned

Maybe that's a gentler way of saying the same thing..

The only people I've ever seen actually huffing and puffing are people who show signs of autism or some other disorder. It seems weird to the rest of us that they think anyone cares about their dramatic tantrums, but they really don't understand because they've got some wires crossed.

7. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

He may have been in the early stages of an epileptic seizure. You should have alerted the store management to an impending medical emergency and inquired of the rather large tall man if he was having any medical issues. No, really. :rotfl2:

8. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

I agree. How can you tell an MDA guy from an epileptic guy? Never take chances, call 911and report a grand mal seizure.

9. SimbaLion

SimbaLion Banned

And waste first responder resources on a false alarm?

10. johnski

johnski Active Member

He acted as if he didn't like seeing someone armed and was trying to make his anger obvious. I just smiled and kept dumping my change into the machine :)

11. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

Whoosh...

12. SimbaLion

SimbaLion Banned

It's too bad that life doesn't have an 'undo' button, I'd be curious to see just what sort of powder keg the guy was, but the consequences probably wouldn't be worth it.

13. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Is that the Georgetown location?

14. kineticmind

kineticmind يفخر الكافر

:lol:

15. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

Was he "stroking-out"?

16. Suburbbus

Suburbbus Active Member

Went to my local Publix (Pleasant Hill and Club Drive in Duluth) tonight and got a surprise. I have been shopping at this location since it opened years ago and have open carried in there many, many times with not a word ever being said. I even have talked with the sheriff's deputies that do security for them and never a problem until tonight. I was in there as recently as Friday night doing some shopping while Oc'ing. As I am at the customer service counter returning something, a manager asked me from behind the counter if I am LEO. I reply that I am just a private citizen. He then informs me that Publix does not allow firearms to be carried by anyone except LEO and that I would have to return it to my vehicle. My reply was that I have been shopping here for years and it has never been a problem carrying there. Why now is it a problem? According to him, Publix has changed their policy recently. Not no open carry, but no carrying at all. My reply was that I was sorry to hear that and that I would have to start shopping at Kroger since they did not have a problem with firearms. He did not bother with any further conversation and turned around and continued with what he had been doing. Cashier that was helping me asked if there was anything else she could do for me and I simply replied that I was disappointed in what I had just been told and would just start shopping at Kroger. She smiled and told me to have a good night and I left.

Too bad since I like going to Publix.

17. Feral

Feral Active Member

Do we have any proof of this policy change being fact or just an overzealous manager overstepping his duties?

We have a Publix beginning construction soon locally and I intended to frequent them. I was under the impression Publix followed state law in regards to carry.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  18. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

That's store number 505. Maybe someone should contact their corporate office?

19. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

I have looked around their main website and searched it a time or 2. I can find no policy either way. Not the best finder but do try.

Nemo

20. HCountyGuy

HCountyGuy Active Member

I have sincere doubts about Publix discouraging the carry of firearms on a corporate level, at least by customers. I know they certainly prohibit employees from carrying. Considering Publix's operations are limited to the carry-friendly Southeast, an anti-gun policy could put a bit of financial hurt on them.

I'll see if I can find anything about it, but in the meantime I would encourage sending an email to their corporate HQ to clarify the matter.

I will add that since my departure from working for Publix, the quality of employees seems to have degraded significantly. I've had cashiers get attitudes with me and try to argue with me over policies and practices I know like the back of my hand. I wouldn't put it past some hotshot manager with an over-developed sense of authority to make false claims as to a change in policy.