Public School Student Suspended 10 Days for Liking Photo of Gun

Discussion in 'In the News' started by UtiPossidetis, May 8, 2017.

1. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...r-liking-photo-of-a-gun-on-instagra/22075757/

10 Days suspension with possible expulsion because a 7th grader liked a photo of a gun online, during the evening hours. He shows up the next day and is interrogated and suspended. The idiot Superintendent stands behind their No Brains....errr....Zero Tolerance policy even for liking a photo - without ANY comments or statements of intent - by a student while they weren't even on school grounds.

Oh, by the way ----the photo turned out to be of an Airsoft Gun so the suspension was dropped (but only after national attention and condemnation of the idiots.....errr ....public school officials).

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

This is outrageous. School administrators are losing their minds.

3. Feral

Feral Active Member

Wasn't he also patted down and searched while at the school?

This whole story just raises my blood pressure. This is another case in the big book of indoctrination. This is how gun control wins. They punish kids by having an opinion that goes against the grain. If you like anything about guns you're punished and if you defend yourself you're punished.

They make you rely on the administration (i.e. The government) for protection and teach you that self reliance/defense is wrong. How dare you fight back. Sit there and be a good victim and we won't punish you.

4. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Should be past tense, but I agree. Recall the issue with the 7 year old in Cobb County who was expelled for "having a weapon at school" by some Barney Fife Asst. Principal? It was the chain to her house key so she could let herself in after school. The Superintendent at the time came out immediately and supported Barney and his actions. Their "logic" = girl has chain, chain is a weapon, possession of a weapon = suspension/expulsion, girl is suspended pending expulsion.

It was only "corrected" when the superintendent got called out about it by Neal Boortz and Cobb became a laughingstock internationally.

5. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

Read the superintendents statement. It is generic and doesnt even address the issue

6. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

It does but tangentially. Look at the "like the post" portion. For me the most chilling part is the belief that they have a right to regulate and punish behavior off campus that occurred under the parents supervision.

"The Board has a 'zero tolerance' of violent, disruptive, harassing, intimidating, bullying, or any other inappropriate behavior by its students.
    Students are also subject to discipline as outlined in the Student Code of Conduct that occurs off school property when the misbehavior adversely affects the educational process.

As the Superintendent of the Edgewood City Schools, I assure you that any social media threat will be taken serious including those who "like" the post when it potentially endangers the health and safety of students or adversely affects the educational process."

7. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

The superintendent is chanting a magic incantation intended to invoke court precedent justifying his actions for when he gets taken to court.

8. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Just so folks don't think all public educators are progressives and anti-2A - I was visiting wife's relatives in middle Georgia a couple weeks ago and they were very proud of their grandson's making the shotgun team at the county high school. Seems that team has more trophys than any other team at the HS and its kinda a bid deal to make the team.

9. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

i wish there was a link to the pic so i could go like it lol

10. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

I'm sure they'll just explain that they 'acted with an overabundance of caution' which explains almost every overreaction to almost everything the government tries to do these days.

11. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

How about they acted without adequate information like hysterical little girls! Probably a more accurate, if somewhat non-PC, description.

12. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

I hope every student at that school clicks like on that photo.

13. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

That seems like a helluva stretch even for Mister Fantastic.

14. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Somebody else posted a pic (a pic taken at home, indicating they own this gun. It's not a generic photo from a catalog, etc.)

That poster captions the pic as"READY."

Arguably, that means they're ready to kill somebody; they've got their gun ready to use to shoot someone.

Now, the question is, when a young middle school boy reads this and like I said is he endorsing gun violence ?
    Is he saying, in effect, "hell yeah --get that gun and kill somebody! Go for it, dude. I'm with you, bro!"

If that is what he meant, I think that would be grounds to discipline him and evaluate him to see whether or not he is a threat at that school.

If the circumstances indicate that he did not mean it that way and he just thought it was a cool looking photo then no problem; no investigation; no consequences .

15. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

The problem is that the weak sisters at the school did NOT investigate first, they suspended with option to expel first without any additional information. Also, liking a photo of an Airsoft gun (or any gun for that matter) is not intent to harm another of any sort. As for the Ready statement - with no context the adults are engaged in projection onto an ambiguous stimulus.

16. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

Why does the school think they can punish a kid for something done off campus and not a school function.

17. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

According to the Superintendent they reminded folks that its in their Code of Conduct statement. I'd love to hear from the attorneys here whether there is some basis in law that supports a public school being allowed to snoop on students behavior outside school that is not a conviction or arrest.

18. janedoedad

janedoedad Liver Abuser

I may have missed this. Just how did the post and the 'like' come to the attention of the school administration? I find the Big Brother aspect of this disturbing.

19. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Knowing that some schools had surreptitiously installed software to turn on a student's laptop camera without that student being aware of it..... I wouldn't hesitate to suggest that they had installed spy-ware on all their student's computers.
    Robbins v. Lower Merion School District
    NB, In that particular case it was a school issued laptop and the school's theory of the case was they could install anything they wanted on their property, if I recall.

Or, it could be school faculty requiring students to surrender any on-line IDs they may have much like I have heard some companies might have required.

Or, it could have been some sweet summer child over-reacting to what he or she saw.

The whole 'we were made aware' thing just smacks of someone covering up something, else why be so coy?

Last edited: May 9, 2017