Public Park Mass Shooting in California - State Preemption Violated?

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Phil1979, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

2. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

I certainly hope the GA Supreme Court gets my and Georgia Carry's Atlanta Botanical Garden case right.

If a local government can lease out control of public property that is still used by the general public, only to have that property be declared off-limits to legal carry, then only the criminals will carry there, greasing the wheels for making such a massacre more possible here.

phantoms likes this.

3. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

4. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Cops were already on scene and still couldn't prevent this from happening. So much for banning open or conceal carry pretty much anywhere except some very specific places. When are they going to wake up to the reality that people are their own first responders?

EJR914, Phil1979 and timbrubaker like this.
  5. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

My key takeaways:
    1) It was a gun-free zone
    2) It had plenty of on-duty armed law enforcement to serve as visual deterrents
    3) The suspect appears to have been using either an AK or AR w/ large capacity magazine, in violation of California laws that supposedly prevent this kind of event

It's as if the presence of law enforcement and accompany gun restrictions and gun free zones are powerless to stop mass shootings. Of course, I think we've all been saying that all along...

Nothern_Defector, Adam5 and Phil1979 like this.
  6. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

https://crimeresearch.org/2019/07/w...KMeaUJJ9c4wg5MAH76peQ1MNer7yrjxr2c0_WU1HcfxDg

Not only is every park a gun free zone, but there aren't any legally armed citizens around even if they COULD carry there.

Phil1979 likes this.
  7. RedDawnTheMusical

According to the news, there is screening with metal detectors and law enforcement at the entrance, along with a perimeter fence to ensure that there would be no firearms at the event. The shooter easily circumvented all of that by just cutting the fence.

EJR914 likes this.
  8. RedDawnTheMusical

There are options if you're really desperate to go to the event. I generally just prefer not to go. It is too prime a a target for someone with a modern sporting rifle or the such and, whatever I can sneak into a venue, just isn't going to compete with that. Additionally, all of the people makes it really hard to scan for threats, move to safety in the event of an attack, etc.

9. jlw253

jlw253 Member

"The shooter had an assault-style rifle and appeared to shoot at random, Smithee said. The SKS, an "AK-47-type" rifle, was purchased legally in Nevada on July 9, he said, adding that his understanding is that Legan purchased the weapon himself."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/29/us/food-garlic-festival-shooting/index.html

This doesn't seem to be an issue with CNN getting the facts wrong ... I've seen multiple outlets claim the purchase was legal.

What I don't see anywhere is a discussion of the 19-year-old shooter's state of residence.

We do know that they searched his father's home in California.

Anyone know how, if he's from California, the purchase was legal in Nevada? It's my understanding that California law specifically prohibits out-of-state purchases by its residents (even with FFL transfers back to CA.)

10. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

An SKS is not an AK-47 type rifle.

EJR914 likes this.
  11. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

https://www.latimes.com/california/...stival-shooting-suspect-santino-william-legan

The weapon that Legan used was a WASR 10 with a 7.62. It is a semi-automatic rifle built in Romania that looks like a military style AK-47. The weapon, with its standard clip and stocks, is considered an assault rifle that is banned under California law. The weapon is legal in Nevada, according to multiple law enforcement sources.

The AK-47-style rifle that was used in the attack was purchased legally in Nevada on July 9. Legan was originally from Gilroy, but spent some time in Nevada living with family, according to Gilroy Police Chief Scot Smithee. Early Monday morning, the FBI and Mineral County sheriff’s deputies searched a unit in a triplex in Walker Lake, Nev., that authorities believe Legan used in the days before the shooting, according to Mineral County Dist. Atty. Sean Rowe.

California Atty. Gen. Xavier Becerra said Monday the investigation into the shooting may determine that the shooter broke a California law by purchasing the weapon in Nevada and bringing it into California.​

12. RedDawnTheMusical

Excellent! If they do an in-depth investigation and find out he brought the weapon into CA illegal, they can prosecute him for it. Oh wait... he's dead already.

EJR914 likes this.
  13. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Another gun free zone another mass shooting

14. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

So they will waste a couple hundred thousand investigating to seei f they would have had a case if he had lived.

15. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

A wise man once said FB_IMG_1564447548642.jpg

If you can't, don't go

16. jlw253

jlw253 Member

How long until the Feds charge the seller?

17. RedDawnTheMusical

They'll probably use it as "proof" that their gun laws worked (since the shooter was 'forced' to source a firearm from another state) and to push for national laws that mirror theirs.

18. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

When in reality what it proves is that criminals will obtain the firearm they intend to use with or without gun control.

19. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Charge him with what?