Public Housing

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by ICP_Juggalo, Oct 17, 2005.

1. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

Does anyone have any opinions about carrying while visiting or even living in public housing? Would this fall under 16-11-127? I did happen to notice at the entrance to one such public housing citing GA code prohibiting the possession and sale of controlled substances within 1000ft of public housing projects. Any thoughts?

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I remember there was a proposal during the Clinton administration to ban, federally, all firearms in housing projects.

Publicly owned or operated buildings - that is pretty broad.

They are definitely publicly owned (assuming we are not talking about a private developer project with public assistance), ven though they are "rented."

I would have to come down on technically illegal but not likely to be enforced or win in court?

That is obviously rank speculation.

3. jeepsterwannabe

jeepsterwannabe New Member

Hmmm.... I guess i need to move my "roadside controlled substance and fruit stand" a couple more blocks away....

4. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

Make sure it is at least 1001 feet away. :whistle:

5. Macktee

Macktee New Member

I was of the opinion, having read it somewhere that public housing projects are "gun free" zones. People living in the projects can be evicted for having a firearm or even a visitor who's caught with one. I feel sure I read that fairly recently and will try to find it.

As I recall, the article mentioned this effectively disarms about three million people. People, I would think, who probably need protection from the punks and thugs of the world far more than any of us might.

6. notamasshole

notamasshole New Member

I would think you could own firearms in the projects. The issue I see is no one there could take them out of the apartment with a GFL.

My thought is since the GA constitution says you have the right to keep arms(legislature can only regulate the bearing of them) they could not stop you.

7. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

The individual apartments would be considered residences by the court as far as expectation of privacy is concerned. I do expect that there are rules in the rental agreements that prohibit weapons though, but one should only face eviction and not criminal action for having a weapon in them. I wouldn't think a visitor would face any criminal action.

8. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

So I wonder what the stats are for number of legally versus illegally owned handguns in the projects?

9. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

I agree with GaGO but my thought on the public housing issue is...

that's yet another incentive to get OUT of public housing and off the government teat.

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

lol....like people do that willingly.

11. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Thinking back to the days of living in New Orleans and driving through some of those projects... Those are EXACTLY the kinds of places that law abiding citizens need to carry! Hell, the Lafitte Projects were so bad that the police would not go there during certain times of day/night!