Public Gatherings

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Malum Prohibitum, May 6, 2005.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Does anyother state prohibit carry at public gatherings?

2. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Alabama

Alabama has simular vague law about demonstrations, but you must be informed that it is taking place. In all the shall issue states i have checked nobody has anything as vague as our public gathering law.

I don't think anyone has given a proper legal challenge to the public gathering law. I would love to talk about it in private sometime.

3. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

Hmm lets' see

Oregon has a similar law restricting carry in public buildings, but CCW license holders are exempt from that law. Must be nice :roll:

From nraila.org; "It is unlawful to possess a firearm loaded or unloaded in a public building. "Public building" means a hospital, capitol building, a public or private school, college or university, a courthouse, city hall, or residence of any state official and the grounds adjacent to each such building. This restriction does not apply to individuals licensed under Oregon law to carry concealed weapons. "

Illinios; while not as vague as Georgia,

From nraila.org;" It is unlawful to possess any firearm in any place licensed to sell intoxicating beverages, or "at any public gathering held pursuant to a license issued by any governmental body," or at any public gathering (except a gun show) at which an admission is charged."

North Dakota has a statue very similar to ours;

From nraila.org; " it is unlawful to possess a firearm at a public gathering, except for law enforcement officers, members of the armed forces (on duty), competitors in shooting events and gun shows, those using blank cartridges in theatrical events, firearms carried in a temporary residence or motor vehicle, students and instructors at hunter safety classes, and on-duty private security personnel. A public gathering Includes, but is not limited too sporting events, concerts, schools and churches and their functions, political functions, publicly owned or operated buildings, and publicly owned parks where hunting is not allowed."

That is all I could find for now

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Well, Illinois doesn't count, since it is also unlawful to carry anywhere else! So, it looks like only North Dakota has the same type of silly law?

5. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

Re: Hmm lets' see

Hmm..... So does that mean it is lawful to carry at a public gathering for which no permit was issued and no admission was charged? Sounds like a riot would qualify to me. :twisted:

6. hictm1980

hictm1980 New Member

4th of july

the fireworks show at apark would the count that as a public gathering

7. Savvy Jack

Savvy Jack Banned

MPs up to something again!

8. Rhodes

Rhodes New Member

Aren't you glad he's on our side? :D

9. Rhodes

Rhodes New Member

Re: 4th of july

Unfortunately yes :(

10. Samuel Adams

Samuel Adams New Member

That was what I was thinking. :twisted:

11. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

the thread/question was 3 years old.

12. Samuel Adams

Samuel Adams New Member

Hey! We were set up. :x

13. Rhodes

Rhodes New Member

I completely missed that little fact :oops:

14. moonchicken

moonchicken New Member

North Carolina law says something about "events occurring in public", but they don't have the "not limited to" that we have here in GA.
    Places that charge for admission, financial institutions, state parks and WMA's are off limits as well.
    It is also prohibited to have a firearm in "areas of emergencies or riots." So I would imagine that if the SHTF it would be illegal to have a gun there. :?
    And "no guns" signs carry legal weight.

I think there should be a NCCarry.org (if there isn't such a group already) to get all this stuff fixed. :groupprotest:

15. AV8R

AV8R Banned

MP planted that question years ago, knowing that we would be in the midst of a public gathering showdown today. Yes, he's that good.