Public Gathering

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by Doc Holliday, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

I have been carrying for a few years now. I never really understood the "Public Gathering" wording until I read some threads on here. I have been carrying into malls, Walmart, grocery stores etc.-places with more than 15 people. Am I in violation of the law? What are the chnaces of getting caught and prosecuted? Do you guys just carry anyway and ignore? Please educate me on this.

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Re: Pubic Gathering-How many of you ignore this?

Well first a mall, walmart, grocery stores etc... None of those places are a public gathering.

There is no 15 people rule. The best example you can go by is this:

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Nope. Read the State v. Burns case GS1 posted, and tell us what you think.

I do not know where you go the "15 person" line of demarcation between a public place and a public gathering, but I am not aware of it.

Neither WalMart nor the mall nor grocery stores are "public gatherings," unless people are gathered or will gather for a particular function.

4. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Or, if it's a really cool grocery store that sells shots of tequila at the checkout stand.

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

I am a strict, law abiding, God fearing, American citizen. Heck, I've never had a speeding ticket before. I am not talking about ignoring and going to one of the five specific no carry public gatherings. Until I found this site, I didn't realize that a controversy existed with the "public gathering" wording with the law. Forgive my ignorance. I just wanted to know that if carrying into a mall or store was in violation of the law because I've done this thousands of times.

As far as the 15 people rule goes, I read another thread on this site. The poster had taken a CCW class with the Douglas County Sheriff's Dept. During the class lecture portion of the class the sheriff's deputy said that a public gather was anywhere that 15 or more people had gathered.

As far as reading the AG opinion and the McDonald's case, I would say that what I have done is legal.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Cops will tell you anything, man. I would be careful in taking their advice . . . :wink:

7. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Doc,

There is no 15 people rule. Whoever taught that class was wrong, but, as you are learning, there are many, many misconceptions and misunderstandings about the public gathering law.

But, the case law and AG opininion (that you already have been referred to) make it fairly clear that malls and grocery stores are not public gatherings.

8. Malum Prohibitum

9. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

You are thinking of Mexico and other South American countries. Candy bar or a shot of good tequila... or BOTH!!!

My dad said that was it was a great shopping experience, my mom went store to store looking at shirts and gifts, my dad went along store to store tasting the tequila. 8)

10. Malum Prohibitum

GS1's ma and pa shopping----> :drink:

11. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I don't recall them singing while shopping???

12. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Even after a few rounds of tequila? :woohoo:

13. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

[-( They don't know spanish. :mrgreen:

14. Malum Prohibitum

That's pa on the right, the one that keeps falling over. :drink:

15. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Nah, pa can handle his liquor. That would be ma on the right falling over.

16. atlctyslkr

atlctyslkr New Member

Wasn't the original intent of public gatherings to mean things like outdoor festivals, free public concerts?

17. Malum Prohibitum

Oh, buy, does this open up a can of worms.

18. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

If you mean keeping black people from carrying, then yes.