Public Gathering Exception

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by EagleEye920, Jul 28, 2006.

1. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

What are your interpretations of subsection (d) of 16-11-127 on the back of your GFL where it talks about an affirmative defense to the public gathering law if you notify the law enforcement/security guard of the public gathering of the presence of your weapon as soon as possible after learning of its presence and surrenders or secures such item as directed by the LEO/Security Guard.

I'm confused as to how you can learn of the presence of a weapon that YOU brought to whatever "public gathering" you are at.

Does this mean that if you're out during the day, then decide to go to eat at Friday's which servers alcohol or go to some other "public gathering", you can look for a security guard/LEO to tell them you have your weapon and then either secure or surrender while eating a nice meal or enjoying your event?

What if at this Friday's there was no LEO/Security Guard, or you couldn't find him/her but tried your hardest to? :)

2. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Sounds like a loophole to me... :twisted:

3. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

My guess is that the person who crafted that defense was thinking more about realizing that you were at a public gathering unintenionally rather than forgetting you have a Desert Eagle in a Smart Carry holster. :wink:

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

:righton:

:D

5. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

I also just noticed that on my new permit (renewed about a month ago), subsection (d) is included. on my old permit from another county, it only listed (a) - (c).

:-k

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

129(f)
    "The reverse side of the license shall have imprinted thereon in its entirety Code Section 16-11-127."

7. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

ahh I see. Must have been in the past 5 years.

8. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

Well, it says an "affirmative defense" to prosecution, not arrest. So you CAN still be arrested. I don't care to be arrested. When I am not sure of a particular place that may become a "public gathering" and unless they are using metal detectors or full body pat-downs, I concoct a CCW combination consisting of Smart Carry and a Bersa Thunder .380ACP. Absolutely invisible to the wandering eye!