Public Buildings, Bars, and Gatherings... Oh My!!!

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by ICP_Juggalo, Jul 21, 2005.

1. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

Hello everybody,

Just got back from spending a week in beautiful Savannah/Tybee Island. Enjoyed my trip thoroughly, but never in my life have I ever had to dodge and zig zag so much in the streets to try and stay legal while carrying! For anyone who has never been to Savannah, in regards to our carry laws, the whole city is basically a public gathering.

First stop, River Street. Nice cobblestone street and sidewalk with shop and bars every few feet. Try to move to the other side of the street where the river is, no good. I find myself wading through a gathering of people watching a jazz band perform. Quickly I dodge back across the opposite side of the street to find a restroom that is not in a bar or alcohol serving establishment. I finally find a restroom at tourist information center. Relief at last... uh no. Inside I find a plaque on the wall that says "these facilities are operated and maintained by the city of savannah" Damn! hurry exit quickly. I finally give up on River Street and head back to Tybee Island to where maybe I can stroll down the street or maybe even the beach without coming into a public gathering.

Back on Tybee Island I decide to go walk on the beach before the sun sets. I come across the pavillion and fishing pier. I decide to check it out. I come into the pavillion. Very nice, big with a dome roof. I see people setting up for something. I look around and I see a poster for a local band that is going to be playing here for the next 3 nights and it is free admission and alcoholic drinks will be sold. So I make a hasty retreat to the fishing pier that is connected to the pavillion. On the way out of the pavillion I notice yet another plaque on a wall. This one says " The facility is owned and operated by Chatham County Parks and Recreation Services." Aww great. So now I cannot visit the pier or pavillion while carrying, nor can I walk down the beach without coming into close proximity, or crossing over, or walking under the damn pier/pavillion. This Sucks. I do wonder though. Since state law allows a person who is licensed to fish and or hunt to carry a firearm openly while fishing and or hunting, how would one do so at this public owned pier that is in close proximity to a public building that is selling alcohol and hosting a concert without breaking the law?

So in a futile attempt, I decide to walk the streets of Tybee and try to not to unknowingly break the law. I get one block from my condo and repeat River Street. A bar every few feet and now you got the tourists that are gathered around the entrances of some of the bars watching the live bands that are playing inside.

After all this debacle, I finally said screw it and carried anyway - public gathering or not. I wasn't drinking, nor did I plan on drinking, Nor did I go into any bars or facilities that were hosting a live event. I decided that even with my smartcarry, if anyone was eyeballing my crotch, they were looking for Mr. Winkie, not Mr. Glock.

So for anyone wanting to vacation in Savannah/Tybee Island area. If you can't risk/stand breaking the law, you might as well leave your piece at home. I tried everyway humanly imaginable to carry without violating the law to no avail. Sometimes I wonder if these laws are written on purpose so someone would be forced not to carry or break the law!?

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I believe that the laws were written to allow carry. However, sneaky amendments and such added restrictions so bad that it has the effect of making it illegal to carry most places even with a permit.

Up until 2001 it was still ok to carry on a city bus or trolly.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I haven't ridden on one since . . . I don't even like flying, but it takes to long to drive out west, and at least I can check my gun with the airline and get it back when I arrive. I know of no way to do that with Marta.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I gotta disagree. There were public gathering type laws on the books immediately after the constitutional right to bear arms was adopted, and there is case law restricting the right to carry rather severly within a few years of the constitutional provision being adopted. I think the laws were written to restrict carry.

See the other two links in this forum bumped up today.

5. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I guess I was thinking less about the public gatherings and more about the terminals, schools, airports, airplanes and such that have been added outside of public gatherings.

6. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

I am glad this post was brought back up. After a year of retrospect, I am going to repeat my trip to Savannah this year and risk becoming a repeat offender yet again. If there is any light at the end of this tunnel, I going to finish up my vacation in Orlando where legal carry is much less restrictive. :D

7. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Oh man, you just brought up something I did not even think about regarding Jekyll Island.

The whole island and the buildings on it are the property of the State. A state created authority leases the buildings out to be run by other companies.

As I think about it, other than walking on the beach, you pretty much are going to break the law somewhere if you carry.