Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/ ... 01uga.html

THIS isn't good.

UGA student arrested, mental eval ordered
27-year-old considered a threat after making comments to faculty member

By ANDREA JONES
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 05/01/07

A University of Georgia student was taken into custody Monday evening after he confronted UGA police officers with a handgun when they came to his apartment to execute a search warrant, UGA officials said in a statement.

Brandon Ginyard, 27, an MBA student who lives off campus in Athens, confronted UGA police officers with a handgun but was disarmed and taken into custody under a court order requiring that he submit to mental evaluation. Officers executed the search warrant based on statements Ginyard made to a faculty member, who was then convinced the student could be a threat to himself or others, officials said.

Pending the determination of whether he will be held for further mental treatment, Ginyard also will face two counts of aggravated assault on a police officer, officials said.

In the wake of the Virginia Tech shootings, school officials have said they will be more mindful of the mental health of students.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
As I see this as not good, the other flip side is at least the college took measures to investigate. Then actually carry out a warrant on a threat made by this lunatic. Then disarmed the jacka$$ before he possibly goes postal!

I dont think we have near all the facts however, he will not be walking on campus in a possible rampage. Yes he is an idiot, but I dont see them mention if he had a GFL. Hopefully he doesnt have one.

I see this as just another reason for people with GFL's to be allowed to carry on campus.

Just my thoughts......

·
Registered
904 Posts
Dan H said:
Thats just great... All these freakin idiots coming out of the wood work
That's not what I got out of the article.

While it is very vague with not a lot of details, what jumped out at me is the opportunity for a prof/person to "turn in" a student/person whom he has issues with. Then that could result in MANDATORY MENTAL HEALTH EVALUATION and thus lead to more people ineligible for GFL's if Georgia follows suit with the buzz going around banning people who have had treatment.

Based on the article, I'm not rushing to judgement on this guy.

·
Registered
904 Posts
maybe fabricated maybe not. here's a scenario..

Anti-Prof: "Class, what are your thoughts about guns on campus..."

Student: "Yeah we need 'em so we can shoot the wacko's" :shoot:

Anti Prof thinks "Oh my!! :shock: What a deranged young man, I should report him."

Anti-Prof to cops: "A student of mine made comments and he may be a threat to himself and his fellow students"

Search warrant ordered. Cops knock on door. "BAM BAM BAM"

Which one of YOU would open your door to a loud knocking without your gun close by??

Then AJC gets a hold of the story to inform us of the "crazy mental people with guns" :roll:

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Sharky said:
what has begun Ramm? A debate?
The use of involuntary mental evaluations to strip people of their guns.

Is there any doubt in anyone's mind now that the NRA is making the wrong choice in wanting to make it harder for "crazy people" to get guns?

·
68,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What if the professor writes poems about killing white people? Can we get her committed?

·
Registered
997 Posts
they sent out a campus memo on the guy! Name address and everything as soon as the cops served the warrant. wonder how many of these a day I will get now!

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Right to the hospital for evaluation. Any bets that he's sent to have "outpatient" treatment? Oops, there goes his firearms. Gotta make sure we close that "loophole" to keep guns away from crazy people.

Let's make sure all our college kids are aware of the "warning signs"... you know... people who shoot guns, talk about guns or express a dissatisfaction with our government. Those crazies just end up shooting up innocents.

This arrest sounds like a farce. I would like to see the warrant. Is that public knowledge? How could I see it?

·
Registered
904 Posts
http://www.11alive.com/news/article_new ... ryid=96304

"Those comments that were made were no overt threats, or direct threats to any one individual, group or staff, but they were in such a way that that person may be of risk to injuring himself of somebody else," said UGA Police Chief Jimmy Williamson.
I'm still giving this guy the benefit of the doubt. Too bad most already have him guilty.

"As we identified ourselves and started to enter the apartment, my officers came in contact with the party in the rear bedroom. At that time, he brandished a firearm," Williamson said.
So he doesn't answer the door. Landlord lets the cops in and he's in the back bedroom with his gun. scary stuff... :roll:

·
Registered
775 Posts
WTF? "Name address and everything..." So, if it turns out this guy is competent, the warrant was a pile of crap, or that there was some other reason that this student was ratted out, his life is ruined, perhaps forever? :roll:

·
68,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good grief! What are the comments?

·
68,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Watch_Their_Hands said:
WTF? "Name address and everything..." So, if it turns out this guy is competent, the warrant was a pile of crap, or that there was some other reason that this student was ratted out, his life is ruined, perhaps forever? :roll:
Nothing like slander and libel . . .

·
Registered
775 Posts
True, nothing like slander and libel. Although, it is a shame that if this is the case, this guy has to set his life aside for the hesteria of one faculty member.

Perhaps it should be slander, libel, and a good old fashion ass kicking. Some 2x4's in the ribs, slamming the face into a curb, sand in the eyes, and a good kick in the nuts. Hell, make it two.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
If the guy is stable (as I expect what will be found out) I would sue the ever loving crap out of everyone involved. If he gets the right jury & they award him a few million I bet that will curtail the eagerness of teachers to turn in every gun enthusiast or political dissenter that walks into their classroom... :evil:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts