Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a den of coyotes near Bells Ferry and 5-75. I see them nearly everyday between 5:30 - 7:00. At least one is German Shepherd sized. I suspect that the den is near the Waffle House where the Publix shopping center is. The woods between that waffle house and the 5-75 exit is where I see them coming from.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
When in doubt: .308

Can you just call animal control?

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
And if you don't have .308, .223 or 5.56 has been known to do the job as well. It all depends how good your shooting is. :mrgreen: :righton:

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The last time I saw a coyote it had my dog in its mouth. That whole experience is what got me involved in firearms.

I called Animal Control, as most reasonable people would, but I came to find out that Animal Control does nothing about wild animals. I was told DNR handles them, but only in areas they can discharge firearms.

That area is not where you can discharge a firearm, its too close to populated areas and a stones throw in any direction will hit asphalt.

I could always just run over one .... hmmmm.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Schweisshund said:
The last time I saw a coyote it had my dog in its mouth. That whole experience is what got me involved in firearms.

I called Animal Control, as most reasonable people would, but I came to find out that Animal Control does nothing about wild animals. I was told DNR handles them, but only in areas they can discharge firearms.

That area is not where you can discharge a firearm, its too close to populated areas and a stones throw in any direction will hit asphalt.

Just to be clear, here, I never mentioned the words ".22 sub-sonic hollow point" or "silencer." :cantsay: :whistle:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Schweisshund said:

who was it that just bought the silencer??

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
We have something roaming my neighborhood that looks like a Rotweiler and Coyote made a big ugly baby... It has gotten territorial over a section of my street and has growled at me from a distance. So far a 180 lumen spot-light is all I have tried to hit it with, and the light seems to scare it away. Animal control told me they don't chase after things but would come get it if it were trapped in my yard or garage. I told them I did not have a fence and I had no intentions of trapping it in my garage. They told me good luck dealing with it then, and to stay out of its way. I told them that if it were threatening to me in any way I would probably have to put holes in it, the guy said "It should be pretty easy to catch then, give us a call if you do."

DNR said that they would not help because it is in a neighborhood. So, just like with everything else, "they" are not here to protect you or anyone else, it is up to you to take care of your own. I am okay with that, as long as "they" don't have a problem with me afterward if I do have to use a firearm to do it.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Priest said:
We have something roaming my neighborhood that looks like a Rotweiler and Coyote made a big ugly baby... It has gotten territorial over a section of my street and has growled at me from a distance. So far a 180 lumen spot-light is all I have tried to hit it with, and the light seems to scare it away. Animal control told me they don't chase after things but would come get it if it were trapped in my yard or garage. I told them I did not have a fence and I had no intentions of trapping it in my garage. They told me good luck dealing with it then, and to stay out of its way. I told them that if it were threatening to me in any way I would probably have to put holes in it, the guy said "It should be pretty easy to catch then, give us a call if you do."

DNR said that they would not help because it is in a neighborhood. So, just like with everything else, "they" are not here to protect you or anyone else, it is up to you to take care of your own. I am okay with that, as long as "they" don't have a problem with me afterward if I do have to use a firearm to do it.
That is the exact same run around they gave me.

edit to add: What I saw was definitely a coyote. I have seen it a number of times and I have always been driving. I saw it look both ways at the traffic light (watching for traffic - they are smart) right at the 5-75 overpass, then dart across the street towards the public storage.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I have a pair in my neighborhood. I haven't seen them for a while. But, I have heard them on occasion.

·
Registered
840 Posts
you know, i lost a black powder pistol flask once, strictly by accident, in a coyote den. The lighning struck it at some later date. MAN. no more coyotes after the chicks. (BTW, i do not live in a urban or even suburban type area, dont try this at home, etc. purely accidently curcimstance)

·
Registered
603 Posts
A pack runs through the field behind my house almost nightly. I've had them bark at me and my labs from across the field while I took pictures. I've seen them watch as I train my dogs with dead ducks. I routinely see them crossing the road during my 5 a.m.(ish) dog walks. One morning I got within 15 feet of one before either of us realized the other was there (quite dark at 5). Not sure if it was me, one of the dogs or the yote but one of us left a trail of liquid on the road that smelled a lot like urine. My sweat pants were dry (front and back) when I got home and the trail extended beyond the length of my leads so that narrows it down a little.

I don't trust 'em but for the most part I suspect they'll leave people alone. Small dogs, on the other hand, are likely fair game.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Vienna sausage chunks placed on a large treble hook (with a latex gloved hand) and suspended about 5 feet above the ground; so they have to jump up to grab the meat. I've heard people talk of this...never tried it myself.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Good, maybe they could take care of some of those "feral cats".

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,314 Posts
Two years ago I sold a bolt action .22LR and bought a bolt action .22 magnum.
Now it wears a scope and has a 3 "D" cell Mag-light mounted under the stock.
Ready to hunt 'yotes in the suburbs night or day.
With a 22" barrel, it's not too noisy.
Winchester makes some reduced velocity loads for the .22 magnum that have the velocity down to something like 1400. Much faster than a regular .22LR, but not like the 1900 that a full power .22 mag should get. The reduced power ones are pretty quiet.

·
Liver Abuser
1,057 Posts
If you feel the need to destroy a creature who is doing you no harm, make it a clean humane kill. The talk about baited hooks and the like is sick and sadistic. Would you do the same to a deer or other animal?

Coyotes are scavengers for the most part and avoid human contact. Unattended small dogs and cats can become lunch. The same can be said for Hawks -Is anyone calling for their extermination? Then again hawks don't tip over garbage cans.

If a coyote was harming one of my animals, I would do everything I could to stop the attack - including shooting if need be. If it is not hurting anything, I will leave it alone.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
janedoedad said:
If you feel the need to destroy a creature who is doing you no harm, make it a clean humane kill. The talk about baited hooks and the like is sick and sadistic. Would you do the same to a deer or other animal?

Coyotes are scavengers for the most part and avoid human contact. Unattended small dogs and cats can become lunch. The same can be said for Hawks -Is anyone calling for their extermination? Then again hawks don't tip over garbage cans.

If a coyote was harming one of my animals, I would do everything I could to stop the attack - including shooting if need be. If it is not hurting anything, I will leave it alone.
There are lots of little kids in those neighborhoods.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Schweisshund said:
There is a den of coyotes near Bells Ferry and 5-75. I see them nearly everyday between 5:30 - 7:00. At least one is German Shepherd sized. I suspect that the den is near the Waffle House where the Publix shopping center is. The woods between that waffle house and the 5-75 exit is where I see them coming from.

Any suggestions?
Although I prefer the Cracker Barrel, I do occasionally meet friends at the Waffle House. I like to keep it simple. Eggs over easy, bacon, grits, and whole wheat toast. None of that smothered, covered nonsense for me.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts