Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
481 - 500 of 501 Posts

· NRA Certified Instructor
6,964 Posts
There were a lot more than 1000 folks at the rally. AP reports 10,000. Trump claims it was the biggest crowd he has ever seen (LOL).

"It was a massive rally with hundreds and hundreds of thousands of people. I think it was the largest crowd I've ever spoken to before," he said in that interview.​
They did not all go to the Capital though. Only a small portion actually took part in it. Just because Trump can't count does not mean there were a few hundred thousand at the rally. A lot more just marched past the capital that did not enter or attempt to enter. If your cell phone was in the area of the capital at the time then you are going to be charged.

6,964 Posts

· Registered
4,370 Posts
According to the article, looking to interview potential witnesses and obtain physical evidence evidence based on their location in relation to the crime as determined by their phone pings.

"Stevens said the agent told her she wasn't a suspect, but said he wanted pictures of things she might have seen."

6,964 Posts

6,964 Posts

· Registered
10,549 Posts
Ah, sorry, #399 in this thread:

· Registered
10,549 Posts
Short version:
If the government determined that you were in the Capitol because your geo-location data from your cell provider indicated as much, the accuracy is about 100 feet. The Capitol building itself is 751.25’ by 350’. The question isn’t whether you walked within 100’ of the exterior walls.

If the government determined you were in the Capitol because your phone volunteered GPS data to a service (like Google) then that accuracy can be taken to be within 16-20 feet or the length of a small SUV. That is good enough to identify which rooms one was in if one entered the Capitol.

If the government determined you were in the building because you were on WiFi or your phone connected to the micro-cells in the Capitol, you were in the Capitol.

And I say phone above but this is applicable to AirTags or any host of smart devices such as tablets, watches, laptops, or even earbuds.

6,964 Posts
Anyway, interviewing folks who were in the area, and arresting and charging them are two very different things.
If that's what you really believe then fine. I still do not BELIEVE more than 1,000 people entered the capital.

· Super Moderator
75,098 Posts
If that's what you really believe then fine. I still do not BELIEVE more than 1,000 people entered the capital.
Then we ought to start seeing a lot of not guilty verdicts, right?

I mean, they are showing the juries video and photos of these folks and what they are doing inside the Capitol. To the best of my knowledge, not one single defendant has claimed he did not enter the building. When that happens, even once, then I will be happy to revisit this issue with you, but for now you are claiming something that the defendants themselves are not claiming.

· Registered
4,370 Posts
I imagine there were people who committed criminal offenses outside the capitol building who for whatever reason, did not actually enter the capitol proper.

I've seen estimates that between 2,000 and 2,500 people actually entered the capitol illegally.

6,964 Posts
I imagine there were people who committed criminal offenses outside the capitol building who for whatever reason, did not actually enter the capitol proper.

I've seen estimates that between 2,000 and 2,500 people actually entered the capitol illegally.
And at least one account says almost 6,000. Others say 200. The cell dragnet is saying over 5,000. But NONE of the videos show anywhere near than many people inside the capital. So unless you can come up with some positive evidence showing 2k or more people INSIDE the capital I am just going with the 100 foot rule at any time on 1/6 and early morning 1/7 the FBI is using to make the count at almost 6,000. If a cell phone pinged within 100 feet of the capital then they are suspect.

· Registered
10,549 Posts
And at least one account says almost 6,000. Others say 200. The cell dragnet is saying over 5,000. But NONE of the videos show anywhere near than many people inside the capital. So unless you can come up with some positive evidence showing 2k or more people INSIDE the capital I am just going with the 100 foot rule at any time on 1/6 and early morning 1/7 the FBI is using to make the count at almost 6,000. If a cell phone pinged within 100 feet of the capital then they are suspect.
A) It was more than just cell phones.
B) The count includes people who were supposed be there as well.
C) An absurd number of people carry more than one “cellular device”.

I went to my office Monday. As far as that same count would go, 3 cellular devices entered the building when I did. When I hit the WiFi, the count jumped to 6 devices. Had I been scanned for Bluetooth, the count would have jumped by 7 more devices. Does that mean 16 people entered? No. Heck, it doesn’t even mean 16 different devices!

There is no point to harumphing and calling foul on a number lacking detailed explanation.

· Registered
9,500 Posts
They even searched credit cards data looking for out-of-towners staying in DC. Some Alaska folks were confronted at home with this data.

· Registered
4,370 Posts
If they got warrants, good for them. It was a complex crime spree with lots of potential suspects. Good investigative work to help identify suspects. I hope every single one is identified, apprehended, and face justice.

· Super Moderator
75,098 Posts
They even searched credit cards data looking for out-of-towners staying in DC. Some Alaska folks were confronted at home with this data.
All of that is just looking for information to find the persons who committed crimes. They are not arresting and charging out of towers for staying in DC. They are talking to them and asking if they know anything or have any evidence (like photos or videos).

Just like if there is a hit and run at a certain intersection the police are going to want to talk to everybody who was nearby. It does not mean that they are charging anybody but the driver.

They are just investigating and gathering evidence.

481 - 500 of 501 Posts