Proposal to Track Carriers of Guns

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

The IACP, which has floated anti-gun proposals before, is proposing state and federal legislation that it says would "track criminals convicted of committing violent crimes with guns." Sounds harmless, right?

Well, look what else they wish to track:

Police now scan driver's licenses to find out if a person is wanted or their license is expired. The registry would enable dispatchers to alert officers if a suspect has been known to carry a gun, he said. New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg is coordinating with other cities and states to draft legislation for the database, Mr. Vince said.

Just say no! =;

2. Malum Prohibitum

The article also quotes a member of the Firearms Committee of the IACP that passed the resolution, Joe Vince, criminal justice professor at Mount St. Mary's University, as saying that firearms dealers are selling to people without performing background checks. Here is his quote: "People advertise, 'Buy from me, no background checks.'"

If anybody is inclined to ask him to provide support for his statement, such as a copy of such an advertisement, you can call Professor Vince at (301)639-1398, or email him at jvince@msmary.edu

I am sure he has a pile of these advertisements handy to send in response to polite requests.

3. Malum Prohibitum

"I can't believe anyone would be opposed to this," Mr. Vince said.

Uh, huh. :roll: I bet the guy in Florida who had the SWAT team called out on a suspected drug raid only because he was known to have a Florida concealed carry license would be opposed to it, if he were still alive.

4. Mojoski

Mojoski New Member

I missed that story. Do you still have the link?

5. Malum Prohibitum

Police told reporters the day of the shooting they knew Diotaiuto has a license to possess a weapon, so they sent in the SWAT team . . .

Link

Second Link

I assume they meant a license to carry.

They did find two ounces of pot, though. That's a little less than two sandwich baggies, about the weight of four ketchup packets, but that would be a felony in Georgia. I do not know whether it is a felony in Florida.

6. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

Buy from me, no background checks

I got the following when I tried to email this person.

The following message to <jvince> was undeliverable.
    The reason for the problem:
    5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'5.1.1 Bad destination mailbox address (jvince@msmary.edu).'

7. Malum Prohibitum

I guess a week was too long!

8. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

There's still the phone number.

9. Manwell

Manwell New Member

All I can say is just leave me the Hell alone and go harass someone who is actually breaking the law!!

Manwell