problem with Glock 37

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by dwalker, Oct 15, 2007.

1. dwalker

dwalker New Member

The slide does not stay open when the magazine is emptied. Has anyone else had this problem, and what can cause this? Thanks.

2. Taler

Taler New Member

Never encountered that issue w/mine.

3. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

doesn't sound like a pistol problem, more like a magazine problem. Have you ran different magazines through it.

How does the Follower look, is it worn down?

4. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea, that's what I would check out first, then the slide stop. Can you lock the slide back manually using the slide stop?

5. dwalker

dwalker New Member

yes, it will lock back by hand without a problem. I'll check the slide stop. Also, do you think it could possibly have anything to do with the ammunition? I was shooting re-loads. I guess I could go run some good rounds thru it and see what I get then. Thanks for the help! :D

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I doubt it's the ammo. If it were, I'm sure you would be having problems with the slide cycling after all of the rounds.

So, like others said, check the follower. I'm thinking it *could* be the magazine spring. Although, if it were, I'm sure you'd have feeding problems.

Let us know how it works.

7. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

*I'm not saying your having this problem* But the only problems i've ever ran into with my Glock was caused by reloaded bad ammo from a range. :evil: . So I stopped using range reloaded ammo and never ran into it again. But my problem was failure to fire and failure to eject/cycle.

Your problem as others have stated, sounds like your magazine is causing that issue. I would say it's the same things that others have already stated. So i'll save my time as well as yours by repeating.

8. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

Are you sure that your thumb isn't on the slide stop while shooting thus causing it to not be able to lock the slide?

9. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

Forums are funny things - it's sort of like this.......topic1, topic2, topic3...repeat. LOL. I know I asked this same question a while back.

I AM NOT CRITICIZING OUR NEW MEMBER. I am only stating that in every forum I read there is a series of stock questions new members ask. We are apparently at the beginning of our cycle again. We have covered OC vs CC and slides not locking back today. Next will be something about Wal-Mart then something about not wanting to show a receipt when you leave a big box store. LOL.

Many props to the good guys on this forum. You are all very patient with us newbies and amuse us by posting the answers again rather than just giving us a [email protected]$$ reply about REPOSTing.

I really do appreciate it. I don't post on other forums very often because of the rude responses.

10. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

Very true. And thank you for putting it kindly. You are correct. I used to get on a car forum, but all the senior guys were d!cks when you asked any questions. But on the other hand the search button works well.

11. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea, the search button works *OK* here. You really have to know what you're looking for. I've used it a few times when referencing a few older threads. I sometimes find it easier just to go to the individual forum that has to do with what I'm looking for and just start hunting. This isn't viable in forums with many, many more posts.

</off_topic>

So, walker, how's the gun doing?

12. dwalker

dwalker New Member

Thanks for the help, I plan to shoot it again sometime this week or weekend and test the theory about the mag, hopefully that is all it is. The gun is going on 2 years old, and if I had to guess....I would say I've put around 600-700 rounds thru it, but the mags stay full all the time, don't really know if that has any affect on it....I think I saw something here about that.

13. dwalker

dwalker New Member

Yea, the search button works *OK* here. You really have to know what you're looking for. I've used it a few times when referencing a few older threads. I sometimes find it easier just to go to the individual forum that has to do with what I'm looking for and just start hunting. This isn't viable in forums with many, many more posts.

</off_topic>

So, walker, how's the gun doing?[/quote]

The new G30 is sweet as hell, can't wait to shoot it again too. Impatiently waiting for my holster from Comp-Tac right now. I love the emails they send you to keep you up to date on whats going on with it, I replied to one today to make a minor change on my order and 'Randy' responded within an hour with my updated order and status again...which is 'in production'.

14. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I must have ordered an in-stock holster. I just got one email, and that was when it was shipped. Still..from order time to delivery was a week or less.

Full mags shouldn't affect it as long as you aren't over loading them. I have 1219 fired through mine. My magazines always stay loaded (except for the time between range time and the week or so later before I load them up again).

15. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

1219? I think I stopped keeping count around 750, if even that high. On my Hk, I think I stopped counting when the second range trip started. :p

16. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I keep track of rounds fired for all my guns, along with how much ammo I have, etc. The .22 is usually just an estimate, though.

17. dwalker

dwalker New Member

Interesting, maybe I'll start with my G30....I'm at 50 right now!

18. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

yeah i used to keep track of all rounds fired, i still have a good number on the K9 since i dont shoot it much, but when I got the 9mm barrel for my Glock22, and put about 1000 rounds thru it in one weekend, i basically stopped counting on that one.... if something ever breaks on the Glock, I'll just replace it (or take it over to Smyrna, its nice to work in Smyrna only for that fact)

back to the original topic, make sure the slide stop is securely seated in the trigger pin groove. With the slide off, lift the slide stop up and let it snap back. if it doesnt, make sure the spring portion of the slide stop isnt buggered up. its a small spring, and can be bent out of shape easily.

the glock armorers manual can be found on the 'net, so if you dont have it.... .download it and use it wisely!

other than that, if everything is great then its either mags or ammo.... which are ubiquitious to suspect with auto pistols.

19. dwalker

dwalker New Member

Alright, I just removed the slide to check out the slide stop and it is functioning just fine. After I removed the slide I noticed that the recoil spring was not seated completly like it should be, I applied a little bit of pressure to the back of it and it clicked and went all the way down. I don't know if it could have been pulled out a little when I removed the slide or if I fired it like that....

20. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

....interesting. I will be anxious to hear if this solves your problem. Keep us posted.