Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

Problem = Guns or Meds?

2K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  GeorgiaGlocker 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I read this article yesterday and had planned to post it here today. I am sick of the "guns kill people" phrase... so I found this article very interesting. I mean, of course, it's not the pills killing people... but obviously these pills do play into a many of these horrific incidents.

I do believe that some kids are hyper-active... and some people do have chemical imbalances. BUT... these medications are given out entirely too frequently!!!

I think that anyone who has been declared "mentally ill" or anyone who is on these types of drugs should not be allowed to purchase a weapon.

That's just my opinion though...

#4 ·
Many people take anti-depressants for many reasons. One for instance is for the prevention of migraines. That doesn't have anything to do with your state of mind.

And more more thing, I almost want to scream everytime I hear one of those news people call a mag a clip. :x

#6 ·
GeorgiaGlocker said:
And more more thing, I almost want to scream everytime I hear one of those news people call a mag a clip. :x
Weeellllllllllll, much as I hate to rat anybody out........

In another posting,

somewhere here at GCO,

earlier today,

one of our own,

one of our very own,

one whom we all look upon with reverence bordering on near-worship,

yeah,

that one

called a mag a clip.

No. I'm not mentioning any names, but I tell you I was shocked. Yes, SHOCKED!!! when I saw it.

Gasp! The horror of it all... The only solution I can see is to start Happy Hour early today.

#7 ·
Macktee said:

In another posting,

somewhere here at GCO,

earlier today,

one of our own,

one of our very own,

yeah,

that one

called a mag a clip.

I did not!

#11 ·
Dan H said:
Yeah, and one more point on medicated A.D.D. Kids. Put them in front of a playstation and see how bad their A.D.D. is...
Amen! After being home-schooled, I know how easy it is to get distracted... but I also remember what Daddy's belt felt like to my poor little rump! I'm guessing that about 1% of the kids on those medications truly need it... the rest just need to be taken behind the wood shed.

#12 ·
Dan H said:
NetAdminWithGun said:
ahh man i just got these cool 17 round clips for my beretta

buwhahahaha
So Im guessing you would love my 20 round mags then?
or my 33 round mags.

#13 ·
USMC - Retired said:
Macktee said:

In another posting,

somewhere here at GCO,

earlier today,

one of our own,

one of our very own,

yeah,

that one

called a mag a clip.

I did not!
Knowing you......you probably did. [-X

#14 ·
NetAdminWithGun said:
ahh man i just got these cool 17 round clips for my beretta

buwhahahaha
you need to be on an anti-depressant. =;

#16 ·
Macktee said:
GeorgiaGlocker said:
In another posting,
somewhere here at GCO,
earlier today,
one of our own,
one of our very own,
yeah,
that one
called a mag a clip.
No. I'm not mentioning any names, but I tell you I was shocked. Yes, SHOCKED!!! when I saw it.
Gasp! The horror of it all... The only solution I can see is to start Happy Hour early today.
I believe I got a thorough chastazing for doing this very same thing in my first post.... I can't imagine he would do the same thing

#19 ·
IMO, people are still responsible for their actions, regardless of what chemicals are present in their system.
Strong perscription drugs can transcend this. People can and do loose total control on strong perscription drugs, if a gun happened to be present and they shot someone, they wouldn't be responsible.

#20 ·
GAGunOwner said:
IMO, people are still responsible for their actions, regardless of what chemicals are present in their system.
Strong perscription drugs can transcend this. People can and do loose total control on strong perscription drugs, if a gun happened to be present and they shot someone, they wouldn't be responsible.
THEY SHOULD BE!!! Why would you take strong prescription drugs that are known to make you lose control when there are GUNS around?!?!?

I mean, me and my friends take drugs and then shoot each other and we've never gotten in trouble, but come on... those are just .22s... nothing big. :^o

#21 ·
GAGunOwner said:
Are you serious :?:

#22 ·
Never a black & white issue.
You go to the doc & explain that you've been sleeping really poorly lately so he give you a rx for some ambien but you have a mediocre doc & a grossly overworked pharmacist & no one tells you that this stuff has some serious side affects on some people. The next thing you know you are talking to little green fairies and riding camels through your living room.

Been there done that. Had no clue the stuff was going to affect me like that. Normally I'm VERY drug tolerant - takes a larger than average dose of most things to affect me as it should. Ambien is not that way for me. That stuff is FUN. :lol:

I was never out of control but I was a bit out of my mind when I was on it (had some to help me sleep when I had Lasek done a couple years ago). If something like that can do to me what it did then.... Well I know there are other MUCH more powerful "mind altering" substances out there. If someone went through something along those lines and was already say clinically paranoid or depressed or had anger management issues then I can see how they could harm another person while under the influence.
If for whatever reason some kind of med was prescribed to you and you were warned that it can affect you in various ways would you move all you weapons out of your home for the entire time you were going to be medicated? I wouldn't.

Please not this is in no way an excuse for guys like Cho. I don't think meds had much to do with his rampage. But I do think a situation could exist where meds are the cause.

#23 ·
GeorgiaGlocker said:
Are you serious :?:
Is that directed towards me?

If so, am I serious about what?

Note: As a rule of thumb, I'm always lying... but especially if I put a pinocchi-nose at the end of a statement... Or if it is something outrageous like having pillows and blankets for my Glocks... so, if you are talking about the "drugs and .22s" comment, then "NO, I am not serious."

On the other hand, I stand behind the "being responsible for drugs and guns" statement. I was not lying about that.

#24 ·
As mentioned, some drugs particularly some of the anti-psychotic drugs, do cause MAJOR problems for some people. Enough so that some people become suicidal. So, I guess maybe it's possible to become homocidal as well, but I don't know enough to even hazard an opinion.

Having said that, in no way do I think Cho's actions can be blamed on his drugs, but...

I'm willing to wager my left gonad some lawyer will sue the drug maker on behalf of one or more of the victims. I'm a little surprised it hasn't happened yet. VT is also on their radar for not locking down campus sooner. Looks like lots of billable hours for lots of attorneys just over the horizon...!

So. Anybody wanna bet?

#26 ·
Macktee said:
As mentioned, some drugs particularly some of the anti-psychotic drugs, do cause MAJOR problems for some people. Enough so that some people become suicidal. So, I guess maybe it's possible to become homocidal as well, but I don't know enough to even hazard an opinion.

Having said that, in no way do I think Cho's actions can be blamed on his drugs, but...

I'm willing to wager my left gonad some lawyer will sue the drug maker on behalf of one or more of the victims. I'm a little surprised it hasn't happened yet. VT is also on their radar for not locking down campus sooner. Looks like lots of billable hours for lots of attorneys just over the horizon...!

So. Anybody wanna bet?
Be careful Macktee, that's how I became a eunuch... I lost three bets in a row. :cry:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.