Probate will

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by a_springfield, Dec 16, 2019.

1. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

I am trying to help my mother in law with everything after my Father in laws passing. Could anyone give any advice on what is needed to do a solumn petition. The will gives everything the her except a few items(going to my wife’s half brother somewhere in California) and some have already been given away be fore his passing. I know she needs to file the petition but how does she need to notify the half brother? She does not currently know his address( she could possibly get one for this week( he moves all the time)). Thanks in advance

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

https://georgiacourts.gov/probate/

The website of the Council of Probate Court Judges may have useful information, possibly instructions and how to fill out the forms.

3. gunsmoker

4. gunsmoker

5. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

6. a_springfield

Based on what I have been told a read the will does not have to be probated. The only thing is she is worried about his credit card debt, She was an authorized user not a co signer. It is not a huge balance but she will not get any of his ss and will probably not be able to pay the balance. With Georgia not being a community property state does she have any financial responsibility to un secured debt?

7. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

IMHO, if she is an authorized user and not a co-signer aka co-debtor aka co person responsible for the debt she has no duty to repay it. Not that the issuer will hound her to try to get her to commit to payment.

Nemo

8. a_springfield

That is my take on it she got a letter saying a collection agency was going to contact her, but she has no money to pay them.