Probate Judge meeting

Discussion in 'GWL News & Information' started by SheriffOconee, Jan 23, 2007.

1. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

I met this afternoon with one of the Probate Judge Execs, they are meeting in the same hotel in Atlanta this week the Sheriff's are. There has been a LOT of discussion among the Judges about temp permits and GFL issues...I am meeting with some of them tomorrow (with the help of a Probate Judge who will be named later, not mine) to try to get over some of these GFL issues...I am working on it...

2. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Get Malum or one of these legal beagles up there stat! Use the GCO funds and get the man a cab! :p

Thanks for your efforts sheriff. Maybe when they all sit down they will actually read the law for a change. We appreciate your help on this.

3. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Your efforts are sincerely appreciated. Probate judges who fairly and expeditiously execute their duties under the law are all we ask.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Sheriff, thank you for your help on these issues. You give meaning to the term good government.

If there is any request for a GCO person to speak to either group on any topic they desire, we have several volunteers. We have more than one person qualified to speak on even archane issues, such as the interplay of federal and state law on licensing and exemption from the NICS check at point of purchase, including what effect last year's legislation had on the licensing law. These speakers can be available on short notice.

:wink:

As kkennett said, all we ask from probate judges is that they follow the law. If even the courts abandon the concept of following the law, then the rule of law really is in trouble.

5. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

That quote at the end is exactly what I told the AG today at 11:30. He has ASSURED me he is going to get on it, see what Joe Drolet is doing on the previous request a member her got the Governor to look into and get back with me ASAP.
    All I can say is that when I have not been in my own classes here I have been beating this drum over and over....I have offered, and expect to be taken up on it, to meet with a committee of Probate Judges as well...
    I need to say this, this SHOULD NOT be this hard to do, but it is....I really don't even get it

There is a LOT of fingerpointing on the issue....

6. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

Thanks for your hard work Sheriff! It's great to have you on our side and fighting the fight from the inside!

7. Wiley

Wiley New Member

Sheriff, Thank You for pushing the issue(s).

8. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Sheriff, I sincerely appreciate what you are doing for the citizens of Georgia.

9. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

thanks ya'll but I hope we can just get results....

10. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Thank you for your efforts. We all hope to get the results we want. You never what what will happen until you try.

11. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

I have heard a lot of finger pointing....no one wants to take responsibility

12. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

That is how it has been going when I try to find out anything.

13. Malum Prohibitum

(1) There is only one place to point the finger on the temporary licensing issue, and that is at the probate judge of each particular county that is refusing to issue firearms licenses. O.C.G.A. 16-11-129(i) quite clearly states that the judge "shall issue at the time of application" a temporary renewal license unless the judge "knows or is made aware of" af fact that would render the applicant ineligible.

If a probate judge of any particular county refuses to issue the temporary, then to where could the probate judge of any particular county point the finger?

(2) On the 60 day issue, while I understand they probably want to point the finger at the man who sat in the Attorney General's office in 1978, this will not absolve them of their responsibility to read the statute on their own. The 1978 AG opinion allows for a judge to go beyond 60 days waiting for a "required" report on the criminal background check that O.C.G.A. 16-11-129(d)(4) quite clearly says "shall not be required."

If a probate judge of any particular county refuses to issue by the 60th day because that judge is waiting on a report that the statute says is not required, to where could the probate judge of any particular county point the finger?

14. Dadx4

Dadx4 New Member

SheriffOconee

My (and "our") sincere thanks for your efforts. People like you restore our faith in the ability of government to work like it should.

Personally, I am looking for land in Oconee County - DeKalb is becoming intolerable.

15. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

(I don't care if this was rhetorical)
    where could they point? I know, I know... the ATF, misunderstanding HB 1032, and ignorance of federal authority over state law. :D

This one is easy, post office, GBI, FBI, AG, and local law enforcment.

Where should they point, well that would be the probate judges each individually and also collectivly as the Council of probate judges.

If it was only simple ignorance, all they had to do was read my website and I know some of them did, yet no change.

16. Malum Prohibitum

What!?! Read your web site? But your web site is the source of all the problems!

:D

17. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

ya'll know I am still working on this....I expect to talk to the AG himself again tomorrow....I have done some work, and I hope you understand I just don't want to share it yet...lets see if we get results first

18. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Sheriff,

We know you're working hard. The reality is, when enough people work hard enough, change will happen. I'm waiting with bated breath :wink:

Thanks again.

19. Malum Prohibitum

:righton:

:bowdown:

:help:

20. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

One of the problems seems to be that some of my Sheriff friends are not getting the paperwork sent in to the GBI in a timely manner, I am going to address that within our association in our next newsletter. One Sheriff I talked to did not know that the electronic print submission can be sent in for things other than arrests....there is a need to have the vendor of the machine
    provide the necessary software to submit other than arrest prints in some (not all) machines. I have convinced several Sheriff's who use electronic prints for arrests but inked cards for everything else to look at their machines and use them for GFL's.
    Frankly, MY own organization isn't doing this very well after some of the conversations I have had. I can handle that, and I will...