probably beat to death but your experiences with open carry?

Discussion in 'Holsters / Method of Carry' started by luke0927, Mar 16, 2007.

1. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

It would be nice to just throw the gun on the hip and go to Home Depot, Wal Mart, Grocery store etc.....all the legal place while open carrying....i have searched around and read a few post hanv't seen a whole lot of grief from people....just wondering if any of you have had the police called on you for open carry while here in GA?

2. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

Never, and I open carry everywhere, legally of course. Even for 5 min. trip down the road for smokes.

3. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

good to hear....im looking for a much nicer OWB holster...that i can use :wink:

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I've never had a problem and open carry or only semi-conceal on weekends.

5. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

There is a thread on here called 'open carry' or something like that.

I open carry when I can. That means I OC where legal to do so and when certain people I would rather not know are not going to see it.

As for off limit areas....that would be a bad idea to carry there. Having said that....the comp-tac CTAC is a very comfortable IWB holster that makes my Glock melt away and I highly recommend it. :wink: 8)

6. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

i semi open carried with OWB holster all most weekend... wal mart, home depot, McDonalds, went to deer camp, gas stations etc....got a few looks when people could see the muzzle when my shirt would come up but nothing was said or ask.....i think it probably depends on what part of the state you are in but i think more people should open carry....people need to learn that there are law abiding citizens who can legaly and responisbly carry a firearm....but if i do go to the mall, best buys stores like that i will propably wear IWB.

7. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I agree.

I've switched to a semi-open carry most of the time. I'll use a OWB holster, with a tucked t-shirt, and a Hawiian type shirt over it that's untucked and unbuttoned. If I go somewhere that I think OC may be a problem (like my Ex's house, Best Buy, Movie theater, etc), I just button the bottom few buttons, and go about my business. If my gun shows here or there, it shows. I don't worry about it. I've had VERY few people that I can think of say anything about it. They were more curious than anything.

1) At a car wash in Cumming, A guy noticed it and asked how to get a GFL. I directed him to this site.

2) At Wendys on Pleasant Hill, A guy asked of I was a cop. I said, "No. I'm just an average citizen excercising my 2nd amendment rights, who decided to get some lunch." He said, "Whoa, that's cool dude".

The only other time I was at a gas station and reached for my wallet, and the guy next to me, who obviously saw that I was carrying a glock, said "Hey, nice choice!!", and pointed to the Glock logo on his hat.

8. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

I agree i think its more likely you will get less grief carrying in the dawsonville/cumming area than you will in Buckhead etc....and is dependant on the establishment.

what about a bank.....whats the rules on a bank....i haven't seen anything on that maybe i have overlooked it?

9. wwomack

wwomack New Member

Banks are just like any other commercial place of business. They don't serve alcohol and aren't sporting events so they're not off-limits.

10. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Depends on the bank. When we moved to Leesburg we needed to change banks since the bank we had been with had no local branches. When we went in I noticed that there were no signs indicating firearms were prohibited and mentioned to the lady setting up our account that I was happy they were gun friendly. To my surprise she smiled and said she liked seeing customers come in packing and that it made her feel safer! Now whenever I go in I make sure to say hi to her and chat about guns a bit.

11. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I open carried everwhere Thur, Fri, Sat, and Sun, in Oregon. I even loaded up my pistol right there in the airport parking lot (which is right next to the building in the Eugene airport, which is small), and I unloaded it there before flying out again.

12. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I love to open carry. I always get a kick out of when people do a double take.

13. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

Well I guess I am one of the few on here that NEVER open carries. I personally don't want people to know that I am carrying. I don't want BG's to know. I also don't want to be hassled while in public. I do commend what you are trying to do....it just isn't for me.

14. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Doc Holliday, that is perfectly fine with me.

It is refreshing to hear from someone who never open carries but refuses to castigate those who do.

This site has a much higher level of debate than one can find on other sites, where the know-it-alls abound.

15. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I agree.

16. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

I say the open carry vs concealed carry is as much a personal decision as is what your carry weapon is....

To each their own

17. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Frankly, I don't trust myself enough to carry openly.

The big thing about open carry is that criminals will know from a distance you have a gun and can wait until you are distracted to grab it. Therefore you need to keep a higher state of awareness of your surroundings while open carrying.

I have ADD and I can slip into la-la land very quickly. I would not like to give a criminal a chance at my gun because by brain wanted to be somewhere else. That is my personal reason, others can open carry as much or little as they wish as far as I am concerned.

18. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

I only open carry when inside my house or at the range, but I do carry as often as the law permits. I don't think this means that everyone should be compelled to follow the same procedure that works for me; as long as people act responsibly I could care less.

19. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

My take on the whole criminal is going to see my gun this is like this:

Hardly anyone notices my gun when I openly carry it. If the criminal is already checking out people's waist line for weapons, chances are they will noticed that bulge on someone's right hip. People are just so oblivious to the whole gun thing and criminals are probably too focused on what they are about to do.

Having said that, I only conceal carry when I must go inside the perimeter.

20. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

I do both but I prefer cc.
    If I'm at lunch and have a tucked polo on there isn't really any way for me to conceal (I've only got an OWB holster for now) so I open. Otherwise if I have an untucked shirt or a jacket on I conceal.
    Why?
    Because of what Gunstar1 said. I feel like I have to make myself hyper aware of everything around me when I'm open carrying. I'm not ADD so being constantly aware isn't a problem but it's not something I enjoy doing 100% of the time.

Just curious, does anyone else find themselves more aware of everyone around them when they are carrying? I do regardless of if I'm open or concealed. Not sure if this is because I've only been carrying for a couple of months or if it's just a sense of responsibility kicking in because I'm the one that can do something if something comes up needing to be done. :roll: