Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I take some evening walks for exercise (and of course I am packin') and we take different routes sometimes, (you know keep people guessing), one of the routes we take happens to require us to use the side walk while passing a Primrose Pre-K school.

Are Pre-K schools actually schools that are off-limits? :?: I am usually concealed but I don't want to get charged with doing a no-no.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
How about O.C.G.A. 16-11-127.1(d)(1)?

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Rammstein said:
Unless you are going on school property, it shouldn't be a problem.
I don't think it is a problem even on school property.
True enough, and that is what the text says....but I'd imagine a judge saying "well.....they mean ALL schools really." Just like 60 days means "ah......whenever we get to it."

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone know what a secondary school is?

Is that what these Pre schools are? I would guess no but I don't want to bet the farm on it.

And about school property... Is the side walk that was put there by the county I am guessing, property of the school or not. The side walk goes the entire length of the road so I am guessing it was the county.

I have also heard that you don't actually own the first X number feet of your property that faces the street because of something to do with the roads, which is why I suppose they can just put a sidewalk on your property wheather you want one or not.

ARRHHHH!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
(d)(1) This Code section shall not prohibit any person who resides or works in a business or is in the ordinary course transacting lawful business or any person who is a visitor of such resident located within a school safety zone from carrying, possessing, or having under such person's control a weapon within a school safety zone; provided, however, it shall be unlawful for any such person to carry, possess, or have under such person's control while at a school building or school function or on school property, a school bus, or other transportation furnished by the school any weapon or explosive compound, other than fireworks the possession of which is regulated by Chapter 10 of Title 25
Is walking by considered Lawfull bussiness?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GAGunOwner said:
By my reading of the law it looks like daycare schools and pre-schools are not off-limits.

The youngest the law seems to go is elementary school. We KNOW that would start at kindergarten but since some gov't schools are offering pre-k now, I'd be leary of carrying at a pre-k in fear that it could be stretched to be considered an elementary school...looks like private daycares and pre-schools are not off-limits.
Thanks.

I'm not looking to carry at the school so much as on the public side walk on my way past the school. It is all the corner lot so I have to walk on 2 sides of it.

This is one reason I haven't just jumped in to OC, I keep seeing more and more potential issues. And with my luck I will find that 1 bozo who wants to harrass me and charge me with something. :(

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Malum Prohibitum said:
Axeman said:
Does anyone know what a secondary school is?
High school.

:wink:
Thanks that is what I was thinking but you never know.

On another note then if an elementry and secondary (High school) is mentioned what about Middle School? :p

·
Registered
251 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
By my reading of the law it looks like daycare schools and pre-schools are not off-limits.

The youngest the law seems to go is elementary school. We KNOW that would start at kindergarten but since some gov't schools are offering pre-k now, I'd be leary of carrying at a pre-k in fear that it could be stretched to be considered an elementary school...looks like private daycares and pre-schools are not off-limits.
Most schools with PreK are Federally funded.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Axeman said:
(d)(1) This Code section shall not prohibit any person who resides or works in a business or is in the ordinary course transacting lawful business or any person who is a visitor of such resident located within a school safety zone from carrying, possessing, or having under such person's control a weapon within a school safety zone; provided, however, it shall be unlawful for any such person to carry, possess, or have under such person's control while at a school building or school function or on school property, a school bus, or other transportation furnished by the school any weapon or explosive compound, other than fireworks the possession of which is regulated by Chapter 10 of Title 25
Is walking by considered Lawfull bussiness?
Probably as much as driving by is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.