Primers on sale - anyone want to split an order??

Discussion in 'Ammo' started by Editingfx, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Editingfx

Editingfx New Member

Powder Valley has a special on FREE (!!!) shipping & hazmat (yeah, BOTH!) if you order 10,000 Tula primers. You can add anything else, up to 40 lbs, and that's also free S&H.

I'd like to get 5K of LPP... anyone want to take the other 5K of something Tula?

2. Match10

Match10 Active Member

Sorry... I'll not use Tula anything....

3. Editingfx

Editingfx New Member

Have a problem with those?

4. Match10

Match10 Active Member

Can you get factory load information from them? I never have been able to do so.

5. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper New Member

If I hadn't bought 15k of Tula primers before Christmas, I'd jump at this opportunity.

Nothing wrong with them, btw. I've been using their small and large pistol, and .223 small rifle primers. I backed my loads down by 10% initially as a precaution, but have worked my way back up to where I was originally without any problems.

Overall, I've had excellent results at a fraction of the price of the other brands. :righton:

6. Match10

Match10 Active Member

If they don't publish loads for them, and if there is no 'rating' them, how do you know their consistency of power? Lot to lot?

7. Editingfx

Editingfx New Member

But load data charts are generated by powder manufacturers, not primer vendors (at least in my limited experience). It was my understanding that other than hardness, a primer is a primer (more or less). Of course, I'm a plinker & action pistol shooter, not a bullseye or 1000 yard type, so perhaps I'm wrong?

8. yrualeg

yrualeg Member

How much would that 5k of Primers run ?

9. Editingfx

Editingfx New Member

$100. Check out PV's website powdervalleyinc.com

I forgot to say in the OP - we need to be in driving distance. I've no problem meeting halfway, maybe half of a 40 or so mile radius, but obviously can't ship.

10. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper New Member

That has been my experience as well.

As I said, I started with reduced loads when substituting the Tula primers in loads where the load data called for Winchester primers. Seeing no ill effects, I began slowly working my way back up to the original load levels. I am very comfortable with the safety of my loads using the Tula primers now.

Wrt hardness, I found no difference in ignition in my firearms between the Tula and the Winchester. Use the .223 primers in semi-autos like the AR, the cups are harder than the standard small rifle primers.

YMMV.

BTW, if you have ever fired any commercially loaded Wolf, Brown Bear, Silver Bear or most other Russian ammo, you have most likely fired Tula-manufactured primers at one point or another.

11. dunkel

dunkel New Member

I might be interested in some small pistol primers.

12. Match10

Match10 Active Member

Some manufacture both. Many are done by bullet manufacturers. However, there is a difference in primers. I have seen it first hand with different manufacturers, and the same powders. Since no one has any published information - -anywhere - -for Tula (or Wolf) primers, I'll follow the recipes I have. They may be the same, then again, maybe not.... They won't give me the nick-name "Squint" for this.