Georgiapacking.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
:) :) :)
12,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I created a thread on this a while ago, but never really got technical clarification, just general "it is what it is" kind of answers from what I recall;

So we know that a HAZMAT Fee of $29.99 on average applies to both primers and gunpowder shipments.

However, the market is now full of exploding targets - these can ship without restriction or extra fees. This is generally a jar with two components that can be mixed to cause them to explode when impacted.

What is ammo? Two components (primer + gunpowder) that are mixed (combined) together that explode when impacted?

Ammo supplies = fee, explosives = no fee?

Anyone clarify to me what appears to completely bass ackwards? :screwy:

·
Paterfamilias
192 Posts
Give it some time. Now that the exploding targets are becoming more popular, there will soon be a fee.

·
12,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can see it now; exploding target market.... EXPLODES! as hoarders stock up before impending fees or bannings by the ATF!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
the point here is "inert"

the two components in binary exploding targets are inert until mixed.
As Packaged it would be extremely difficult to both Mix them and then strike them again in an enclosed container
If they are struck while mixed outside of the "target container" it is very anti-climactic.
There is not really a combustion with Binary Targets as much as it is a chemical reaction... meaning its not fire.

More info here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tannerite

·
A Typical Cat
1,743 Posts
Gunpowder as a completed explosive compound can be extremely volatile and ready to ignite with a single spark or even too much concussive force.

Binary targets are not complete explosive compounds and so are not as inherently dangerous to transport unmixed. Once a binary is created by combining the two parts it is now completely illegal to transport in any fashion without an explosives permit.

·
12,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Granted I have yet to purchase any, from what I've been told and shared with me is the exploding jars have both components inside, separated by little more than a bag of some sort?

Would seem like one "woops!" during packaging and now its explosive?

Just seems like given any chance of possibility they are quick to restrict or charge fees on products. Seems boggling that these can be shipped without either.

Granted they don't explode like a grenade, I doubt you want to be standing next to one when it goes off, or a crate of them. :lol:

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
27,996 Posts
Gunpowder is resdy to detonate or light as it is shipped.
Primers too.
Binary exploding targets like Tannerite are harmless unless BOTH:
1-- they are mixed thoroughly with the correct amount of catalyst in the accellerant.
2--- they are hit with a super powerful shockwave that only comes from rifle bullets at 2200 f.p.s. or faster, OR a blasting cap or some other high explosive initiating charge.

You cant set off Tannerite with flame, or shooting pistol bullets into it, even supersonic ones. You cant crush it or gring it to make it go off either. I have used it and also seen the vids that Daniel Tanner produced.

Other similar products that are not the same formula as Tannerite.... I dont know how difficult they are to set off.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
You can buy the components of gunpowder without the hazmat fees. Heck, you could probably even get them all shipped in the same box.

Now if you wanted to ship mixed Tannerite? You'd probably be looking at hazmat fees.

·
Registered
529 Posts
TITAN308 said:
Granted I have yet to purchase any, from what I've been told and shared with me is the exploding jars have both components inside, separated by little more than a bag of some sort?

Would seem like one "woops!" during packaging and now its explosive?

Just seems like given any chance of possibility they are quick to restrict or charge fees on products. Seems boggling that these can be shipped without either.

Granted they don't explode like a grenade, I doubt you want to be standing next to one when it goes off, or a crate of them. :lol:
Seems like a 5 minute Google search would negate the need for a bed-wetting thread.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
27,996 Posts
Titan, if using your product causes beards and chest hair, what's your pretty wife doing with it in that photo? Get that thing away from her, pronto!!!

·
12,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The products; they make you so manly even you want your women to have chest hair and beards. har har

1 - 13 of 13 Posts