Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

previously owned / used handgun purchases

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  artz 
#1 ·
What is the law in Georgia concerning purchasing used handguns from individuals. FTF = face to face (?)
I hear one opinion then another. Please clarify...

#4 ·
Absolutly, I have sold a few guns to some of my friends.

Though like a used car you sell, it is a good idea to write up a Bill of sale. As a seller, you cannot sell to someone who you know is prohibited from purchasing a firearm. (if you know they would be denied a purchase in the store, you should not sell to them as it is probably illegal)

There is no paperwork to file with the Gov for a private purchase. In fact even if you wanted to "register" the gun, Georgia Law prohibits it.

#5 ·
Gunstar1 said:
There is no paperwork to file with the Gov for a private purchase. In fact even if you wanted to "register" the gun, Georgia Law prohibits it.
Common sense prevails on the part about selling to someone not authorized to purchase.
The reason I asked is if I had to use this weapon to defend me and mine.
Plus this is my paranoia. The Peoples Republik of Kalifornia woulda crucified me for not using a registered FFL holder. If a California LEO would have run a check on a handgun and its not reg'ed in my name, my goose would be cooked....
Thank you for the clarification....

#6 ·
That is usually what they claim is the "Gun Show Loophole".

The media likes to imply that if you buy a gun at a gun show that you do not have to have a background check. Which is wrong.

It just depends on the seller. If a Dealer with an FFL is at a gun show, any gun he sells has to have a background check. However if I purchased a booth to sell a few guns out of my arsenal, then anyone who bought a gun from me does not have to have a background check as it is considered a private sale.

Typically "closing the gunshow loophole" legislation is aimed at stopping private gun sales all together.

#7 ·
Gunstar1 said:
Typically "closing the gunshow loophole" legislation is aimed at stopping private gun sales all together.
True---plus its all a money scam. Cali. wants to make sure that on every purchase they get their cut. They do.... and also on the $5.00 that you have to spend on the 50 question test on handgun safety that you have to pass in order to earn your firearm. Then again...there are some people out there who shouldn't own a handgun. We all know this is true. There are some goofy people in this world, especially in the Land of Fruits and Nuts...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.