Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Domestic use of aerial drones by law enforcement likely to prompt privacy debate

AUSTIN - The suspect's house, just west of this city, sat on a hilltop at the end of a steep, exposed driveway. Agents with the Texas Department of Public Safety believed the man inside had a large stash of drugs and a cache of weapons, including high-caliber rifles.

The drone technology that has revolutionized warfare in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan is entering the national airspace: Unmanned aircraft are patrolling the border with Mexico, searching for missing persons over difficult terrain, flying into hurricanes to collect weather data, photographing traffic accident scenes and tracking the spread of forest fires.

But the operation outside Austin presaged what could prove to be one of the most far-reaching and potentially controversial uses of drones: as a new and relatively cheap surveillance tool in domestic law enforcement.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 04111.html

Are you read to have Predator Drones flying over American Skies, yet?

What are your opinions on this?

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,717 Posts
No way! I don't want one of those over-sized model airplanes to malfunction and crash into someone's home, car, or head while walking down the street. Not to mention the nosiness of it.

Wonder what the drones operators would think if a lot of homes had fake MJ plants in their back yard, you know, just for decoration. :lol:

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,102 Posts
Fake marijuana garden?

I can think of a way to open their eyes a bit wider. Fake SAM missile site. Complete with one of those old early 1980s generation 3-meter satellite dishes and the biggest model rocket the hobby store has in stock.

If you make them take their pictures from high enough up, you won't hear the little engine on the Predator.
See, noise problem solved!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Fun with jamming technology?
Is it illegal to shoot down model aeroplanes that stray into my airspace?

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts
Phil1979 said:
... Wonder what the drones operators would think if a lot of homes had fake MJ plants in their back yard, you know, just for decoration. :lol:
Fake/silk marijuana plants can provide hours of amusement .... or so I've heard. 8) (Just make sure you have all Your stuff in order.)

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Add me into the Triple-A crowd. No sense in wasting a good missile on a drone :lol:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Where are those computer controlled shotguns? Which thread was that in?
I am sure that rig could be re-jiggered (thats a technical term) to take an AR lower with a .308 upper and a beta mag....... not that I've ever thought about this at all.

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
PULL! :mrgreen:

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Welcome to the new America!

Love it or Leave it!

Patriotic Americans wouldn't complain about a government that just wants to keep us and our streets safe.

[/sarcasm]

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Match10 said:
PULL! :mrgreen:
My thoughts exactly! Invade my airspace without a warrant!

·
Senior Mumbler
6,434 Posts
politenessman said:
This is the USA! You don't have any airspace. It's the governments, just like the home you live in, the land it's on, the car you drive, etc.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,434 Posts
Fallschirmjäger said:
Phil1979 said:
... Wonder what the drones operators would think if a lot of homes had fake MJ plants in their back yard, you know, just for decoration. :lol:
Fake/silk marijuana plants can provide hours of amusement .... or so I've heard. 8) (Just make sure you have all Your stuff in order.)
They don't put out the heat signature that would draw attention.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
phantoms said:
politenessman said:
This is the USA! You don't have any airspace. It's the governments, just like the home you live in, the land it's on, the car you drive, etc.
bugger .. no land of the free for me?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
phantoms said:
Fallschirmjäger said:
Phil1979 said:
They don't put out the heat signature that would draw attention.
Japanese maples?

(Ryan Fredericks case involved Japanese maples I believe)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts