Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay gang posted here as it was in the UofGa newspaper. Below is the original article and below it my daughter's proposed response. Anyone have any other suggestions for where she can find stats will be appreciated!!!

Editoral....

The suspected shooter was considered mentally unfit for the military and community college, yet had no problem purchasing a semi-automatic handgun. He also obtained a 33-round magazine, which gave him additional time before reloading.
I cannot imagine how being able to legally acquire what is essentially a slow-moving machine gun has anything to do with individual freedom, let alone self-defense.
The gun debate should be seen and treated as a public health challenge. Banning automatic weaponry is obvious, as these weapons are designed to kill many â€" and to kill them quickly.
Waiting periods, improved background checks and the ban of oversized magazines are also crucial.
As gun advocates so often say, “Guns don’t kill people; people do.†This is true, but guns sure make it easier.
Alan Reese
Senior, Savannah
Music performance and Music theory
Start of my "I should be allowed to carry" Daughter's response..

I completely agree with Alan Reese (Reconsider our Gun Laws), anything that can kill lots of people at once should be banned. In fact, I don’t think he went far enough in banning harmful weapons. My weapon of choice weighs about a ton, causes over six million injuries and 40,000 deaths annually, and is essentially a faster version of a tank- my car. If guns kill people and those must be banned, cars, swimming pools, bicycles, pets, and modern medicine should also be outlawed, because those kill people too. Silverware should be outlawed because it makes people fat. All of these arguments are obviously preposterous, as is Alan’s argument.

Let me explain the difference between an automatic weapon and a semi-automatic weapon, because some people evidently are still unclear as to the difference. An automatic weapon is one that fires multiple bullets when the trigger is held down. These types of weapons have been banned since 1927. Semi-automatic weapons will fire one shot when the trigger is pulled. Comparing a semi-automatic gun to a machine gun is like comparing my car to a tank. It’s a gigantic stretch.

Evidently Alan did not do his research. Chicago, Washington D.C., and England all have implemented bans on handgun ownership. The city of Kennesaw has an ordinance requiring heads of households to keep at least one firearm in their homes. Can you guess which city has the lowest rate of gun crime? Yeah, it’s Kennesaw. After the handgun ban was implemented in Chicago, the number of murders committed with handguns rose 40%. In Washington, D.C, it was 73% higher. England, 52% higher. It makes sense- gun control laws keep weapons out of the hands of law-abiding citizens. It makes it much easier for criminals to attack people because they know the law-abiding citizens will not be armed and there is little to no risk. If Jared Loughner had walked in, armed, and noticed about 50 other people who were also armed and could easily subdue him, do you think it would have happened the way it did? I sincerely doubt it.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Good response. Had thought put into it vs. the editorial.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I would add citation notes to reference where your crime stats came from. And if you can reference multiple sources, even better.

:righton:

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
machine guns aren't banned, just heavily regulated. No need to spead the "machine guns are bad" mentality. Machine guns are perfectly legal and she should say such.

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,405 Posts
Good response. I'd check for word restrictions on submissions. There may be a limit of 200 words or somesuch.

Some additional thoughts below.
m100_explorer said:
Waiting periods, improved background checks and the ban of oversized magazines are also crucial.
Jared bought his Glock on November 30th for its eventual use on January 9, 40 days later. How long of a wait would be enough?

AZ law prohibits guns being sold to anyone found mentally incompetent or a "danger to himself and others". No court anywhere ever made such a finding. How will an "improved" background check find anything more?

How does passing more laws do anything to control the behavior of lawless people?

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
In a google search I found this interesting chart about half the way down the page Death by Gun control
I would also look at Mexico's stats and see how their gun laws are working for them.

Someone posted this link the other day on here I think. This is more local
http://www.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/01/18/l ... tml?hpt=C1

and of course http://www.georgiacarry.org/ down at “Guns Good Bans Badâ€. Report

These links cover both civilian and government issues, but the end result is disarming people gets people killed. Maybe these help you.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
Taurus92 said:
“Guns Good Bans Badâ€. Report
Mr. Menkus has done a fine job! :righton:

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
rankhornjp said:
machine guns aren't banned, just heavily regulated. No need to spead the "machine guns are bad" mentality. Machine guns are perfectly legal and she should say such.
The NFA was passed in 1934, MGs that could be imported and later transfered were banned in 1968, and new transferable MGs were banned in 1986 so I'm not sure where she got "1927" from?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Kind of scary how people with misinformation can get it published so easily.....even if it is a school newspaper.

Music "theory" major? Really? :lol:

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,110 Posts
The Arizona shootings show the problem with NOT effectively banning combat guns with high capacity magazines.
I'm sure this murderer racked-up a bigger body count because of his 33 round magazine, compared to a "normal" 15 round one or an AWB-complaint 10-rounder.
And it's a good thing he didn't use hollowpoints (I assume he didn't because of what the doctors said about Rep. Giffords' brain wound) because that would certainly have increased the body count by at least one more-- the main target and the most important VIP there.

I'm not saying it's worth banning assault weapons or high capacity mags to save a few lives here and there.

But I am saying in this case the type of weapon and magazine and ammo the killer chose had HUGE consequences.

It's not like the D.C. / Maryland sniper case, where the type of weapon and ammo was pretty much irrelevant. Shooting one shot at a time from inside a vehicle at distances averaging about 100 yards, those killers could have done the same damage with any kind of rifle-- bolt, lever, pump, break-open-- in just about any caliber.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Very good response, and good job in raising a smart daughter that can think for herself instead of becoming one of the increasing number of sheeple out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts