Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago when I floated the idea for a "postal match" to shoot .22 rifles at a certain kind of target and put up our scores here for comparison, 20+ people were interested. The first couple matches had a lot of participants.
Since then, it's been just a couple people per month.

I don't think the postal matches are worth keeping around with this current level of participation,
and I don't know how to make them more attractive to more people.

So at the end of this month, I'm done organizing and writing about the monthly postal matches here.They'll either end, and we'll close the book on that experiment and say it just didn't work out for GPDO the way it has really caught-on at RimfireCentral.com, OR somebody else can take over running the postal matches.

If somebody else wants to take responsibility for the GPDO postal matches, feel free to change them around
or do whatever it takes to make them more fun and more interesting
. Or don't. Maybe you can get satisfaction from just keeping them going as they are. But I'm not getting enough satisfaction to keep running it. And while I would participate in some of the postal matches here if they are continued in any form, I won't be doing it every month, and I won't be dominating the top rankings.

Or, we can just let the postal matches here come to a close. Then anybody who wants to engage in regular competitive shooting can just join a real league or team that meets up a range for group shooting events. And there are plenty of "matches" at local gun ranges that don't require you to be a member of the team or a dues-paying member of the range. Just show up with the right kind of gun, pay a one-time entrance fee, and shoot!

·
Registered
839 Posts
One reason it took me the longest to participate in GPDO postal match was not having the targets. I've been participating ever since I picked-up targets from you gunsmoker. I made some more copies of them myself. I tried to print a target at home and it printed slightly smaller than it should have been.

Speaking of targets, one we are currently using doesn't really give good sight picture at 50 feet. Just a small black blob.

I'm sure there are tons of GPDO members who shoot at least once a month. Not sure why it would be so hard to put one target at 50 feet and put 10 rounds into it.... :?

·
Registered
248 Posts
1clearshot said:
Not sure why it would be so hard to put one target at 50 feet and put 10 rounds into it.... :?
That's not the hard part. The hard part is making the results public knowledge. :)

·
Registered
839 Posts
lynx said:
That's not the hard part. The hard part is making the results public knowledge. :)
:lol: First time I shot the postal match target, I put seven holes in it....and I was pretty darn proud. :shattered:

There, now you all know this fact. Currently I'm in 70 +/- range....I would like to see myself shoot 80+ some day.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I really enjoyed the challenge of shooting the match.

The training for it was better than the scores.
Keeps me focused and accountable every month.

If my practice targets scored poorly i knew i needed trigger time with that gun.

Fun to challenge your friends to a match
I hope these will continue

·
Registered
700 Posts
I tried last month to shoot it. Clipped up a silhouette, ran it down 50 feet and shot 10 rounds at it. Thought I was ready so I brought it back to the line, clipped up the postal target, and ran it back out to 50 feet. First round was a 5 or 6 I think. Second round hit the clip. The target fell off in transit back to the line. I now carry masking tape in my range bag. :oops:
I imagine the next couple of months is going to be slower with the holidays. I thought the match changed up every month or so.
I'm going to encourage guys from work to shoot it. I think I'll still post results here in case anyone wants to compare.
To keep it interesting, we might do some strong hand, weak hand only or varying distances.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Just had a great idea how all of us can increase our scores. Instead of using 22 or other smaller caliber, we'll use .45 cal. or even something in .50 cal. This way what would have been a 5 is now a 6. All you have to do is break the line and you "fall" over to the higher score. :D

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Potato cannon For The Win !! :launcher:
Your shot could touch the scoring rings of the 10, 9, 8. 7, and 6 rings all with one shot.
Better limit yourself to one shot per target if that's what you're using.
I can see a 10-shot group being hard to score.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sorry to hear that. :( I was gonna shoot my first in Dec.Guess I'll have to compete with myself. :lol:

·
Registered
839 Posts
whateverjones said:
Sorry to hear that. :( I was gonna shoot my first in Dec.Guess I'll have to compete with myself. :lol:
I say go ahead and shoot/ post your score....if this is going to be the last postal match, we should give it a grand finale.

BTW, I did 50 for my first postal match. :shattered:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts