Post Office Law Needed

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by GAfirearmsReference, May 11, 2016.

1. GAfirearmsReference

GAfirearmsReference Weapons Law Booklet

Two federal laws currently ban gun carrying at post offices, even by license holders, even for weapons that are left in locked cars in the public parking lot of the facility.

A guy out West named Bonidy challenged those laws and postal regulations.
    At the district court level, he got half a victory. The trial court ruled that the Second Amendment would be violated by a gun ban that included his car in the parking lot, but that the 2A did not cover the carrying of weapons inside the building itself. Both Bonidy and the government appealed.

The U.S. Court of Appeals ruled that no part of the postal facility or the parking lot is a place where the 2A applies. It's a constitution-free security zone where the government has all the power and the citizens have none, except with statutory law authority (i.e. postal regulations ensuring privacy of mail).

The Supreme Court of the United States denied certiorari, meaning it is refusing to hear the case. While such a move is not legal authority or precedent, it's clearly a bad sign for gun rights when not even FOUR (4) justices of our highest court would even CONSIDER that maybe the Second Amendment covers having a gun in your car and parking it near a government building as you go in (unarmed) to conduct business there. NOT EVEN FOUR OUT OF EIGHT would entertain such an argument, apparently.

https://blog.princelaw.com/2016/03/...ng-possession-of-firearms-on-postal-property/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_four

Congress took action to overturn Amtrak's ban on traveling with firearms in checked baggage. Congress took action to overturn the National Park Service's ban on firearms at national parks (as applied to weapons carry permit holders, and with an exception for federal buildings in those parks).

I think we should all ask our Representatives and Senators to come up with a bill that overrules the gun bans imposed by every three-letter (or 4-letter) agency bureaucrat for federal facilities that are generally open to the public (including subsets of the public, like only veterans, only people on welfare, only visitors who have paid an admission fee to see or tour some facility or site).

If some federal facility needs to be truly off-limits to firearms, regardless of a citizen's carry permit and without regard to state law about carrying or transporting firearms, let that place have its own exception to the general rule. And only facilities that allow for secure storage of firearms on site (in your locked car, or the facility must provide storage for you) can get this exception and apply their gun ban to carry permit holders and legal gun possessors. And only federal facilities that actively screen incoming persons (except perhaps credentialed badge-wearing employees and staff) can get this exception, too. Any place that doesn't take security seriously enough to look in people's bags and make them step through metal detectors should not be able to disarm the good guys by passing a law, putting up a sign, and hoping that the criminals, terrorists, and lunatics will choose to disarm themselves, too.

WHO THINKS THIS IS A GOOD IDEA, and feasible?
    How many of us will commit to pitch this idea to our representatives in Washington?

2. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

I think your ideas have merit. However, in my opinion, the bite sized approach principle, that GCO has kept to in Georgia, may be better. For instance, let's start with Post Office carry in the parking lot, and better, get the law changed to also allow carry by licensed folks into post offices. Get that first, and when nothing bad happens, go for ACOE lands via legislation. (court action doesn't seem promising from I have read.) Then, when nothing bad happens, federal buildings of one type or another. And continue to push for national reciprocity that makes sense, recognizing any licensed person in any other of the 50 states.

3. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

I've been saying for years that Post Offices and CoE land is low-hanging fruit for any [Republican-majority] Congress that wants to strut pro-2A efforts. It shouldn't cost any money, it shouldn't affect the cost of beer, it honestly wouldn't even mean guns in new places but it is something that they can't even seem to pass out of a subcommittee.

Instead we have presidential candidates running around saying "Look, I'm pro-2A, I dropped a bill that never moved!" and people eat that up as if it wasn't just hollow platitudes.