Possible LCP for wife...

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Seca, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Seca

Seca New Member

Wife has a 642 but wants a smaller gun for carry. Looking at LCP for her(so she will carry it more). Opinions?

2. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

They are quite a handful. I like the gun. If she can handle it then go for it.

3. Seca

Seca New Member

I told her it kicks (having shooting one myself a few times) harder than her 642. I told her I want her to put a few hundy rounds through it and she said no problem.

Not that I think about it I might get one for me also... hhmmmm...

4. Target

Target New Member

The grip extensions work well for me. I use the Pearce extensions. The Ruger extensions may also work for her depending on hand size. This helps with the kick and muzzle rise. You could get the gun for her Christmas present and get her a laser grip for Valentines Day.

5. Seca

Seca New Member

She has the laser grip on her 642 and likes it so might have to do that. But will prob have to get my own lcp first..lol

6. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

I'd love it if I could get my wife to carry one. If she'll shoot it a bit, I say go for it. Check out www.elsiepeaforum.com for more info on them. :righton:

7. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

Great little pocket guns when you can't/or don't want to carry anything bigger.

8. Seca

Seca New Member

Now I guess I have to sell her 642-1 with CTC grips....

9. ET.

ET. Active Member

My wife shot my TCP once & will never touch it again. She can't handle the recoil. She has no urge to carry and only shoots a Buckmark Camper (22LR)... Although while in the mountains she shot my friends Taurus 38 special loaded with wad cutters & loved it. But I would have to believe that regular ammo would have enough kick to turn her off to that gun also.

10. spotco2

spotco2 New Member

Grip wraps help some with recoil also. My wife and I both have LCPs and we both enjoy shooting them.

I was looking at the new S&W Bodyguard 380 that has the laser built into the guide rod. It's about the same size gun and price is about the same as a LCP and a Crimson Trace but you don't have the bulky laser in front of the trigger guard.

11. Quest50

Quest50 Active Member

I've got one, it's a cute little thing! =D I'm not terribly accurate with it, but at 5 yards I can keep em' in the rings. That's probably only because of my own inability to fire it accurately. :shattered:

Mine has yet to jam on me. I've only put about 150 rounds through it, but no FTF's and no FTF's.

Edit: I haven't tried hollow points in it, I've only used FMJ.

12. jabara572

jabara572 New Member

Mine came out of the box with a frozen (stuck) firing pin due to bad machining and had to be fixed before it would fire. After 350 rounds my firing pin has started to peen and mushroom out where its being hit by the hammer. I bet in another 400 rds it will get so big itll block the firing pin movement. My magazine is also so loose in the frame it causes feed jams with anything but round hardball when you grip the gun differently.

Maybe I got a lemon, but if you look online you can find lots of reports of very loose magazines. I read a few accounts of frozen firing pins in the box, but none of my mushrooming firing pin issue (I do not dryfire it, even with snapcaps)

After being fixed mine has been 100% with round nose hardball and thats what I carry in it. :righton: It is very light, has a decent trigger, and is surprisingly accurate. its very easy to conceal in a pocket holster, and the recoil is very stiff and stings, but its manageable.

This is coming from a big Ruger fan. But im realizing that out of the 4 ruger pistols i own, 3 have had issues that needed a trip back to ruger or a gunsmith to get working properly. Ruger is great about standing behind their product and fixing problems, but it doesnt make up for this trend.... maybe I am just unlucky but it seems Ruger quality control is slipping lately.

LCP's are what they are. Sub $300 guns that you carry when you cant carry anything bigger or better. I know people rave about their guns but thats been my experience with it so far. And after my experience i just cant recommend it to anyone.

13. ARMT Guy

ARMT Guy Ordinary Average Guy

Fired a friend's LCP and we were both unhappy with it.

Mostly, because of the very loooong trigger pull and poor sights. I understand its a bad-breath distance use pistol, yet I'd prefer something with better sights.

I went with the Kahr P380 and as soon as he can, my friend plans on ditching his LCP and going with a P380, too.

14. spotco2

spotco2 New Member

I dotted the sights on ours with some white paint and it made them much easier to find.

We have around 500 combined rounds through ours and never had an issue that was not limp wrist related.

15. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

jabara572 What are the first 3 letters of the serial number?

16. galvatron

galvatron Member

It's definitly not a range gun, really no fun to shoot. Add the CT grip for it and call it done. At 10yds put the dot where you want to make a hole.
    My wife likes the size and weight, and how it fits in her bag, and that's it. She actually hates shooting hers, but will not hesitiate to use it if needed.
    Have your wife try one if possible. I'm sure if you spring for the ammo most people will let you take theirs for a test drive.

17. jabara572

jabara572 New Member

Hey mountainpass, I'm out of town the next few days without the lcp but when I get back I'll post the serial number range. I think it was a newer gun, I just bought it new in april or may of this year if that helps

18. Seca

Seca New Member

took her up to Trigger Time today so she can look and hold the LCP. She really like the gun. So I guess I have another item going on her x-mas list.

19. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

Now, your next decision is what color. Black w/black slide, black w/satin chrome slide, or raspberry.

20. Seca

Seca New Member

Are the raspberry ones easily found? I have never seen one. Wifey would love it.