Possible for F-1 Student Visa holder obtain a GWL?

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by csan0168, May 31, 2017.

1. csan0168

csan0168 New Member

I have a friend who came from Korea with a student Visa who is extremely eager in purchasing and owning a firearm because you cannot legally be a citizen and own one in Korea.

He served in the South Korean Special Warface Command, he is a "Black Beret" and has vast knowledge in weapons handling.

I have been trying to research the laws for him but cannot make sense of what he needs to do in order to legally purchase a firearm.

Any help would be amazing!

2. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Have him bring every piece of paper he has to his local county courthouse and complete the application. He may need to get a hunting license first.

3. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

A nonimmigrant can own a weapon if he has a hunting license. This is in the Federal code at 18 U.S.C. Section 922(y)

When I last looked, a GA hunting license was $expensive$ for a nonimmigrant.

GAfirearmsReference likes this.
  4. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

Their issue was getting a resident hunting license. Those are cheap. The non-resident one was not in GA.

5. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

6. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

It also means he has to pass a Hunter Education class. The license would most likely have to be kept valid, which means renewing it every year.

7. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

But in contrast to a country where he can not have private weapons at all an annual renewal ought to be a very small thing. Another good reason to become a US Citizen.

8. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

When non-citizens have at least some carry rights (some additional hoops to jump through to get a license) in the U.S., when most other countries will not even allow their own citizens to carry a pistol out in public (and barely even let them keep ANY kind of firearm at home without being locked up separately from it's ammunition), it shows there still exists some glint of the light of liberty we used to enjoy that gleamed so brightly among the nations.

However, if the tyrants such as that rule places like CA, NY, NJ, D.C., and HI have their way, even that glint will be soon gone.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  9. pml

pml Active Member

Oh I thoroughly disagree. No noncitizen should be allowed any weapon. You dont need to be Einstein to understand why.

10. rankhornjp

rankhornjp New Member

Rights are not based on citizenship, they are based on birth.

11. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

So everyone on the planet is entitled to our Constitutional protections?

12. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

13. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Yes they are. But they can only receive those protections while they are present in this country. The problem is the govt in place in their country or where they reside does not understand the idea or recognize the freedoms. A while back England did not recognize ours here. We had to do some bit of whoopass on them to get them to realize it.

Nemo

14. rankhornjp

rankhornjp New Member

Strawman. I didn't say anything about constitutional protections. I said that rights are based on birth.

Argue that point, or don't, but don't say I said something I didn't say just so you can make an easy argument against it.

15. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

That must be one very special warface, indeed.

16. Janus

Janus New Member

Looks like the hunting license is for "possession of a firearm" so he has to renew every year.

Not sure what he's going to do, when he goes back to Korea. Handguns are a complete no-no, in Korea. Some rifles and shotguns are allowed, but may need to be kept with the police or a gun club.

17. suomi82

suomi82 Member

Seriously man? I would like to know why do you think that way. Why should I not have the right to protect my family? As a NON-CITIZEN I feel highly offended. :rotfl:

People who are born here believe everybody can just become a citizen, that's not the case, most of us born elsewheres are green card holders(permanent residents), and we do have the right to carry and own firearms with a license.

To the thread starter, yes your friend can purchase a gun, but he will not get a carry license. Once his visa is expired, he needs to get rid of it, or take it with him.

18. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

Why not?

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-129(d)(3) provides that "As a condition to the issuance of a license or the renewal of a license, an applicant who is in nonimmigrant status shall provide proof of his or her qualifications for an exception to the federal firearm prohibition pursuant to 18 U.S.C. Section 922(y)"

18 U.S.C. Section 922(y)(2)(A) states the gun prohibitions "do not apply to any alien who has been lawfully admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa, if that alien is (A) admitted to the United States for lawful hunting or sporting purposes or is in possession of a hunting license or permit lawfully issued in the United States;"

A GA Hunting License is $100 for non-residents.

Basically, if it's legal to own a gun, it should be legal to have a carry license.