Possibility of indoor range in Conyers

Discussion in 'Ranges, Dealers & Smiths' started by shamalama, Jan 6, 2011.

1. shamalama

shamalama New Member

I was approached last night by an old friend. He owns a local restaurant, and due to Conyers' increases in violent crime, has gotten his GWL is now a daily carrier, even while at work.

He told me he is "feeling out" whether to open an indoor range in Conyers/Rockdale (read: will be profitable). He was told that local ordinance says "you can't buy a gun where you shoot a gun", meaning he could have a range or a gun dealership, but not both. But most ranges I've visited always have both a range as well as sell guns, like maybe you need both sources of income to remain profitable. Could be he has his information wrong about ordinances.

Any of you have any information/direction I can pass along?

2. railin93

railin93 New Member

that does sound odd but city ordinances can be bassakwards sometimes...wouldnt really see the point though...buy a gun and no ammo is possible (less chance of random violence due to accessibility)...take a gun to a range usually involves having ammo with you...seems pointless not to be able to have both...might wanna investigate the policies and ordinances with him to find out...usually you can find city ordinances posted on the city's website if they have one...at least my city's are and so is the adjoining city's as well

3. seereus

seereus Active Member

He needs to read Title 8 of the Conyers City Ordinances, section 8-7-90 will give him the applicable zoning.

Then he needs to check with the FireDept and see what kind of regs they have that need to be met.

ETA: Never knew the Conyers Mayor had the right to disarm people if he/she declared a state of emergency in Conyers.

4. seereus

seereus Active Member

"He was told that local ordinance says "you can't buy a gun where you shoot a gun",

Never trust what your told.

5. Iceman

Iceman Active Member

That has been changed. It just hasn't been updated on Municode yet.

ETA: Here's a link to the amended code section adopted June 16, 2010.

shamalama, tell your friend to open a range and he will get some of my money for sure.

6. cbeyond

cbeyond Member

Tell him.....

"If you build it..... they will come"

I would love to see one built out that way !!!! :minigun: :flame:

7. maggie

maggie New Member

Shama . has there ever been a S. Rockdale meet and eat at his place , say maybe in the fall ? ?

8. stuk in irak

stuk in irak New Member

Maybe less hassle building outside of the city limits of Conyers, somewhere in the county. Sounds like a great idea, he can count on my business (when I finally make it home!). :righton:

9. shamalama

shamalama New Member

Dairy Queen off West Avenue. You think the crowd would be agreeable to fast food? If so maybe we could work up something this winter/spring, Sam/Shorty40 has already been asking about one.

Thinking about range on Old Covington Hwy, north of Conyers, in industrial area. Not sure where city limits start/stop up there.

10. maggie

maggie New Member

There are several vacant warehouses , off Sigman on the Covington side of 138. Some of the filming crews for F F 5 were using them , kinda near the new fire station. I don't know where local LE folks do their practice . Maybe Mesacranker has some input.

11. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

I built an outdoor range within the city limits of Harlem. I did it by first approaching the CLEO, and assuring him it would be open to train and certify his men.......for free. Needless to say, it breezed through the city council. Now I can't keep LEOs away. :lol: Harlem PD, Grovetown PD, Columbia County Sheriffs Office, and probation officers us it.

12. TDM

TDM New Member

I think it would be well worth the money to consult a local lawyer to avoid any legal or zoning surprises.

13. timbrubaker

timbrubaker I may be slow, but I sure am ugly

It would sure beat the long haul to Charlie Elliott...

14. nitrogenated

nitrogenated Active Member

I'd probably check it out, normally go to Charlie Elliott as well but have several times been discouraged by the combination of weather and the drive.

15. maggie

maggie New Member

Anything new ?

16. shamalama

shamalama New Member

He's been swamped by business-related stuff, but he's going by-the-book on this with county/city, doing his study and talking with people. He's still working towards an indoor range in north Conyers.

Does anyone know the requirements to be a range officer for a private range? Or is this dictated by insurance regulations?

17. bmghunter

bmghunter Member

Sorry, can't help you with the range officer question :shattered:

I just wanted to put my .02 in and say it would be great (and overdue) to have an indoor range in the area. Good luck to him, and kudos to you for helping him :righton:

18. MesaCranker

MesaCranker Active Member

We have used Newton County SO's range in the past but we just finished building our own behind the office. Stupid though... we can't go practice there any time we want. It has to be a scheduled qualifying/practice session with one of the range master's available. :roll:

If he built one in Rockdale I can assure you he would be swamped with people.

.....Also Shamalama, put in a good word for me for a part time gig! :mrgreen:

19. gkill772001

gkill772001 Member

He would definitely see some of my dollars.