Possession of firearms&dangerous weapons in Federal facility

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by higabyte, Oct 17, 2010.

1. higabyte

higabyte New Member

18 U.S.C. § 930 : US Code - Section 930: Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities

This is probably reaching out on a limb, but would this authorize military members to carry into a post office or some other federal building?

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

This part is rather confusing: " if such possession is authorized by law".

3. higabyte

higabyte New Member

I liked your first answer better haha. But yea, that is the part getting me. I'm not sure what "law" it would be referring to.

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I'll look at it again tomorrow after some coffee and sleep and see if I need to change it back.

5. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

You not only have to check the law but the regulations for the law as well.

From just reading the law, I would assume the authorization the law is talking about is one found in the federal law or regulation section for the armed forces or a particular federal official.

If the law/regulation says you can only carry a firearm while on official duty, then no you probably can't carry into a post office.

6. Going Postal

Going Postal New Member

A few weeks ago a new sign appeared on the employee entrance door. That sign basically said that carrying a firearm on USPS porperty is a federal offense.

I do believe that if you went into the lobby to conduct some business you might be OK but I sure wouldn't push the issue. If you are a police officer and you wear your sidearm into the PO then you are OK.

7. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

"The 2nd Amendment only applies to the Federal Government not the states" Heard that argument many times...yet here we go, the Federal Government ignores it.

8. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

YMMV. IANAL.

If you are in uniform and/or on official duty with the military, and in the course of that duty you have to enter the federal facility with your issued duty-weapon, you appear legal.

If you just want to go pick-up your social security card on your day-off, without any type of orders, with a two day scruff, tennis shoes, and your personal handgun, probably not so much.

9. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

10. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

11. rankhornjp

rankhornjp Active Member

how bout the next one?

emphasis mine

12. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

From TITLE 18 - PART I - CHAPTER 44 - § 930
    So is there that much hunting going on inside a building or part of a building? :shattered:

13. rankhornjp

rankhornjp Active Member

One definition of "incident" is "something that occurs casually in connection with something else." But I'm thinking more along the lines of carrying for self defense is a lawful purpose(as long as state law doesn't prohibit it in government building, which GA does, but that's beside the point).

14. dunkel

dunkel New Member

The "lawful purpose" part does seem to make it ok if you're not otherwise in violation of any laws. At least, that interpretation would make sense. So, really, if you think about it like that...it probably means the exact opposite, as we are dealing with federal law.

15. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

My postmaster has said that firearms restrictions only apply to him, and his employees. He tells me that it only applies beyond the secure parking area (loading dock), and of course I can't carry into the building. Our case may be different. Our post office is leased from a private builder. IDK :?

16. higabyte

higabyte New Member

You use Harlem?

17. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Yes, sir!

18. Spc Satt

Spc Satt Guest

These are the same questions I have been asking for years. Work at the CDC in Chamblee. I'm not wanting to carry into the building but just driving onto campass leaving it in the car would be nice. Some how there needs to be clairification of ( Other lawful pupose in subsection D )

19. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

Funny how no one seems to notice that, huh?

Maybe it applies to the "other" Federal Government.

20. Montieth

Montieth Active Member

I've carried into a bunch of federal facilities, pretty much all military. Rifles, pistols, seen other folks carrying machine guns, cannons. Of course this was part of WWII events and the Post commander had authorized it.

The best was when a 4 friends arrived at Fort McPherson (US Army ForceCom HQ) for an Army Birthday event. They were the lucky car, pulled to the side for inspection, the gate guards got a look in the back of the SUV, stacked floor to ceiling with WWII kit, gear and weapons, and asked the question, "Are you carrying any firearms?"
    All four responded "YES! Quite a few!"
    "Very good, have a nice day."

Course this isn't as funny as a bus load of War of 1812 re-enactors going to Canada with several score muskets, cases of black powder, bayonets, swords, pikes, flintlock pistols and the like, all declared at the border on paperwork for the Canadian customs folks. At the very end he asks..."purpose of your visit?"
    said the whole busload..."INVADE CANADA!"
    "Very good, have a nice trip!"