Positive encounter with LEO & civilian

Discussion in 'Citizens Encounters' started by 1bearz, Sep 20, 2018.

1. 1bearz

1bearz Member

Wife and I were having dinner at Pollo Tropical and when we sat down there was a LEO having dinner as well. We made eye contact, I watched his eyes and saw him notice my sidearm. Nothing was said and he completed his meal and left. A woman who was having dinner with her son came up to me and stated her son had noticed my gun. I said yes I do have a sidearm due to today's world. She stated she felt so much safer after the officer left that someone was around to protect her and her son. We had a great conversation with her which included her desire to get a firearm and training for her.

2. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

Dang, they have closed up all the polo tropicals around here (their hometown).
    Miss that place

3. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

Why do people believe I would use my gun to protect them? My gun protects me. If police have no duty to act, I certainly don't. Plus I have zero legal protections such as qualified immunity. You want protection, get your own gun. I have no interest in being your outsourced security option.

moe mensale and Squid like this.
  4. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

The perception is a guy who OC's is that he's a certain kind of guy.

Admit it, you do too. And you are correct.

5. wee

wee Active Member

90% of the time you protecting yourself would have also protected them.

Brian

NTA and Savannah Dan like this.
  6. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Secondary protection? By-product protection? Well, I guess that's better than nothing for the sheeple when their preferred protection (police) is not around to save them.

7. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

"Qualified immunity" hasn't got a thing to do with anything being discussed. Qualified immunity is a legal doctrine in United States federal law that shields government officials from being sued for discretionary actions performed within their official capacity, unless their actions violated "clearly established" federal law or constitutional rights.
    Your legal protection in defending the life of another innocent is exactly the same as that afforded to you per Georgia's law on self-defense, O.C.G.A.§ 16-3-21 - Use of force in defense of self or others; evidence of belief that force was necessary in murder or manslaughter prosecution

If that other person happens to be a LEO they you are additionally afforded exactly the same protection under the law as an officer would be per O.C.G.A.§ 16-3-22 - Immunity from criminal liability of persons rendering assistance to law enforcement officers

8. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Regardless what the law says concerning me coming to the aide of another person, cop or not, if my best interests are served by me exiting the situation if possible, then that's what I'm going to do. I have no moral obligation to stay in a danger zone if I can avoid it. If the situation forces me to remain then I'll do what is necessary.

Janie Soccer Mom may love me in a bad situation and hate me when the sun is shining. I won't be controlled by that mindset.