Posing As Cops; Men Stop, Abuse Woman

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Sharky, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Posing As Cops; Men Stop, Abuse Woman

POSTED: 6:34 am EDT September 14, 2006
    UPDATED: 6:39 am EDT September 14, 2006

MOBILE, Ala. -- Mobile police were searching for two men yesterday who they suspect abused a woman after they pulled her over with a flashing red light placed on the roof of their car.

Authorities say the 22-year-old woman was driving on around 8:40 p.m. Saturday when she was stopped by a dark blue or green police-styled vehicle with tinted windows.

Two white males wearing dark uniform-style clothing walked to either side of the woman's car and the suspect on the driver's side asked the victim for her license and vehicle information.

After she complied, the first suspect asked the victim to get out of her vehicle and both suspects fondled her. They then walked back to their own vehicle and drove away.

Police say the suspects appeared to be in their early to mid 30's and have dark brown hair.

Mobile police have posted a composite sketch of one of the suspects on their website.

2. Sharky

Sharky New Member

I know it isnt in GA, however thought just another instance to always call this sort of thing in before stopping your vehicle to verify it is a police officer.

I always teach my better half if it is an unmarked police car to put on the hazards get in right lane, slow your speed, call 911, verify the stop and then come to a stop in a well lit, active public place.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

In Georgia, I would not stop for an unmarked car.

In Alabama, I was once stopped by two guys in an unmarked car (complete with a bar in the back hanging clothes) with black T-shirts, ball caps, and at least three days of scruffy beard, and the first officer yelled and pointed at the badge on his belt as his identification when I requested it.

As far as I could discern, I was stopped for doing almost as fast as they were.

Before they let me go, they commented on how I looked nervous and might have been reaching for a weapon.

I was.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

It was not that long ago in Georgia that there was a guy in a Ford Taurus with a rented polyester uniform stopping men, handcuffing them, and taking them to an apartment to sodomize them. They caught him because the apartment was rented in his own name, if I recall correctly. Maybe somebody could dig that story up.

Then of course, there was the real Gwinnett police officer that shot the lady during an armed robbery using his real police car and real uniform, on the clock, with witnesses driving by . . .

One just never knows.

5. wwomack

wwomack New Member

I imagine this type of thing is why in Georgia, police cars are authorized to make traffic stops only if they have a blue light and at least six-inch letters, identifying that department, visible on the car. Of course, now some imbed the blue light in the wind shield or grill but they are required to have markings identifying the agency.

6. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

Be careful though. Check what happened to this old lady. Sad...

http://www.insideedition.com/ourstories ... toryid=182

Getting pulled over by the police late at night can be a very scary experience, especially if it's unclear whether those flashing lights belong to a real cop. Betty Golden, a 69-year-old grandmother of eight, says she followed the advice she had heard in news reports -- she acknowledged the police, but did not pull over till she thought it was safe. However, it's that same advice that got the grandmother into a heap of trouble. Not only was she pulled over, she was even charged with a crime!

Betty talked with INSIDE EDITION senior correspondent, Matt Meagher. "I'm scared, just like I was scared the night that I was stopped," Betty says.

Her nightmare began on this lonely road in Centerville, Ga., as she was driving home late at night from the supermarket. She saw blue lights flashing behind her, and heard a siren, but says she wasn't sure it was the real police. Betty had seen news stories about phony cops pulling people over - robbing, raping, and even killing them. She recalled the advice from those stories that said slow down, put on your emergency flashers, and look for a populated, well-lit area to pull over. Betty says that the dash cam video from the police cruiser that pulled her over shows she did just that.

"They had to know I was not fleeing, you don't flee at ten miles under the speed limit with your emergency flashers on," a disbelieving Betty tells INSIDE EDITION.

When another marked police car pulled next to her, she pulled over. But what Betty didn't realize was she was in for the shock of her life.

"Get out of the car, open the door, unlock the door, open the door, open the door," yelled the police officer. With a gun pointed just inches from her head, Betty says she was so frightened and nervous that she had trouble opening the door. "Do not make me break the window and pull you out of the car," the policeman continued.

Betty was terrified, and says, "He could tell I wasn't any danger to him, and I think how easily that officer could have shot me."

Betty went to trial on her charges, and was convicted of fleeing and interference with a police officer because she didn't open the car door fast enough. Believe it or not she was found not guilty of the original charge of failure to maintain a lane, the reason she was pulled over in the first place.
    Betty has never before been arrested, and has never even gotten a ticket!

Betty's mug shot and fingerprints were taken. She was sentenced to ten days in jail and one year probation. Distraught and tearful, Betty says, "I will have a police record to leave my grandchildren, and maybe nobody else would really understand that except a grandmother."

For two years Betty and her husband, Byron, fought the charges and spent more than $25,000 on legal bills. But last month, all of her appeals were exhausted. Betty was ordered to report to jail for ten nights, though she was allowed to go home during the day.

INSIDE EDITION was with her as she left her home for the seven-mile drive to the jail, right past the spot where she was arrested.

As she made the short walk to the jail, her husband Byron says he wishes he could do more to help. "She's just a very good lady and she doesn't deserve this," Byron tells INSIDE EDITION. Byron even volunteered to stay 30 days instead of his wife, but the sheriff's department would not allow it.

With a few more steps, Betty entered the sheriff's office to start her sentence. She enters with the support of family and the words of her son to give her strength: "Mom, you don't know how proud I am of you you've fought the fight. You stood up for your rights. You will get through this but remember, I am very proud of you."

Betty finished her sentence this week but she's not done with the legal system, she still has to complete one year of probation.

7. Sharky

Sharky New Member

damned if you do damned if you dont!

8. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Ms. Golden's appeal to the GA Court of Appeals actually resulted in a published opinion. The appellate court basically said they would not second guess the jury's findings of fact, and there was sufficient evidence presented to the jury to find her guilty. Apparently, she did not make a great impression on the jury.

One thing mentioned in the opinion is that she went past a lighted gas station, and didn't stop until two squad cars caught her in a rolling road block.

She also had filed a notice of her intentions to sue the city, which came out on her cross examination at her trial. Again, she must have made a bad impression on the jury.

And, she got 10 nights in jail? She must have made a bad impression on the judge, too.

9. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Marked Police Vehicles

Is it really the law that law enforcement officers in Georgia cannot make traffic stops ( pull you over) unless they are in marked police cars and wearing uniforms and badges?

I did not realize this. I had just assumed that any plainclothes cop could stop you, even in an unmarked or improperly-marked car.
    Is there anything in Title 35 of the Georgia Code ("Law Enforcement Officers and Agencies") that commands LEOs to only stop in fully marked vehicles, in uniform, etc.?

Of course, if that IF the non-uniform cop ATTEMPTED to pull you over and you failed to stop, that officer could not properly charge you with fleeing / eluding, because that criminal statute says that only applies when the officer is in uniform, with a visible badge, driving a marked police car, and uses some visual (blue lights) or audible (siren, public address speaker) signal to you. O.C.G.A. 40-6-395.