Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Moderator
Joined
·
69,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By calling attention to a well-regulated militia for the security of the Nation, and the right of each citizen to keep and bear arms, our Founding Fathers recognized the essentially civilian nature of our economy. Although it is extremely unlikely that the fears of governmental tyranny, which gave rise to the second amendment, will ever be a major danger to our Nation, the amendment still remains an important declaration of our basic military-civilian relationships, in which every citizen must be ready to participate in the defense of the country. For that reason I believe the second amendment will always be important.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
69,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh? Who said it?

Well, I did not say it was a 2008 presidential candidate! :D The speaker is John F. Kennedy. Could any Democrat presidential candidate say this today and get away with it? Keep in mind that this is not ancient history from the country's founding. Many of you were around then! How times have changed. Even Republican presidential candidates could not get away with saying this today! The vast majority of the voting public are hostile to the right to keep and bear arms.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,593 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
The vast majority of the voting public are hostile to the right to keep and bear arms.
I don't think that is a true statement :shock:

If it is we are doomed :cry:

I think the majority of voters are not hostile just uninformed. I really don't care what people who don't vote think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,139 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
The vast majority of the voting public are hostile to the right to keep and bear arms.
Now, MP, that's a bit much. Given some the legislative victories here lately in several states, I'm not sure I believe that. While it may be that the majority are apathetic, hostile I don't buy. I would guess that roughly 1/3 to 1/2 of the voting public are gun owners. If anything, I sense that the 2A is making a comeback of late.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
69,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ber950, I disagree, but I do not think it means we are "doomed." They just need education, which is best learned through experience. I agree with you only in the sense that I think a majority of voters would say "yes" if the question was "Do you support the right to keep and bear arms?"

I think the majority would answer "no" if the question were more specific.

Carry of concealed handguns in schools? Legislatures? Bars? Restaurants? Public gatherings? Parks?

Ownership of full auto weapons?

Carry of machine guns in the street? [Funny, that last one is not illegal in Georgia now, assuming you have paid the $200 tax, but I still think most people would check the "no" box]

Still disagree, ber950?

Anybody want to argue any of these are not an "infringement"?

I would like to see a second amendment poll asking people what "infringement" means. Even the Parker case will not answer that question.

No, ber950, I disagee . . . :D People pay the right to keep and bear arms lip service in a general sort of way, but they do not support the specifics. Kind of like the politician that supports his gun ban after stating what a supporter he is of the Second Amendment.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
69,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kkennett said:
I'm not sure I believe that. While it may be that the majority are apathetic, hostile I don't buy. I would guess that roughly 1/3 to 1/2 of the voting public are gun owners. If anything, I sense that the 2A is making a comeback of late.
I think the majority of "gun owners" are hostile to the Second Amendment, too.

Did you know that 32 percent of NRA members in the Annenberg poll supported the "assault weapons" ban?

In some states, there were actual majorities of NRA members supporting the ban!
:shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,697 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
By calling attention to a well-regulated militia for the security of the Nation, and the right of each citizen to keep and bear arms, our Founding Fathers recognized the essentially civilian nature of our economy. Although it is extremely unlikely that the fears of governmental tyranny, which gave rise to the second amendment, will ever be a major danger to our Nation, the amendment still remains an important declaration of our basic military-civilian relationships, in which every citizen must be ready to participate in the defense of the country. For that reason I believe the second amendment will always be important.
I don't think the presumptive democrat candidate would attempt to speak those words and people on the left compare him to JFK.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,306 Posts
Who said the following:

Certainly one of the chief guarantees of freedom under any government, no matter how popular and respected, is the right of citizens to keep and bear arms.... The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America but which historically has proven to be always possible.
 

·
NRA Certified Instructor
Joined
·
5,202 Posts
TOO EASY

It was John F. Kennedy
 

·
NRA Certified Instructor
Joined
·
5,202 Posts
wsweeks2 said:
Who said the following:

Certainly one of the chief guarantees of freedom under any government, no matter how popular and respected, is the right of citizens to keep and bear arms.... The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America but which historically has proven to be always possible.
Hubert Humphrey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,226 Posts
wsweeks2 said:
Who said the following:

Certainly one of the chief guarantees of freedom under any government, no matter how popular and respected, is the right of citizens to keep and bear arms.... The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America but which historically has proven to be always possible.
I had to cheat and look it up. I was surprised by who said it, but since I cheated I will not post who.
 

·
NRA Certified Instructor
Joined
·
5,202 Posts

·
NRA Certified Instructor
Joined
·
5,202 Posts
I guess MP also answered his own question. I should read all the post first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,306 Posts
seajay said:
I guess MP also answered his own question. I should read all the post first.
That's why I thought you were answering mine. :wink:
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top