Popular Democrat Presidential Candidate on Guns

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Malum Prohibitum, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

By calling attention to a well-regulated militia for the security of the Nation, and the right of each citizen to keep and bear arms, our Founding Fathers recognized the essentially civilian nature of our economy. Although it is extremely unlikely that the fears of governmental tyranny, which gave rise to the second amendment, will ever be a major danger to our Nation, the amendment still remains an important declaration of our basic military-civilian relationships, in which every citizen must be ready to participate in the defense of the country. For that reason I believe the second amendment will always be important.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Oh? Who said it?

Well, I did not say it was a 2008 presidential candidate! :D The speaker is John F. Kennedy. Could any Democrat presidential candidate say this today and get away with it? Keep in mind that this is not ancient history from the country's founding. Many of you were around then! How times have changed. Even Republican presidential candidates could not get away with saying this today! The vast majority of the voting public are hostile to the right to keep and bear arms.

3. ber950

ber950 Active Member

I don't think that is a true statement :shock:

If it is we are doomed :cry:

I think the majority of voters are not hostile just uninformed. I really don't care what people who don't vote think.

4. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Now, MP, that's a bit much. Given some the legislative victories here lately in several states, I'm not sure I believe that. While it may be that the majority are apathetic, hostile I don't buy. I would guess that roughly 1/3 to 1/2 of the voting public are gun owners. If anything, I sense that the 2A is making a comeback of late.

5. Malum Prohibitum

ber950, I disagree, but I do not think it means we are "doomed." They just need education, which is best learned through experience. I agree with you only in the sense that I think a majority of voters would say "yes" if the question was "Do you support the right to keep and bear arms?"

I think the majority would answer "no" if the question were more specific.

Carry of concealed handguns in schools? Legislatures? Bars? Restaurants? Public gatherings? Parks?

Ownership of full auto weapons?

Carry of machine guns in the street? [Funny, that last one is not illegal in Georgia now, assuming you have paid the $200 tax, but I still think most people would check the "no" box]

Still disagree, ber950?

Anybody want to argue any of these are not an "infringement"?

I would like to see a second amendment poll asking people what "infringement" means. Even the Parker case will not answer that question.

No, ber950, I disagee . . . :D People pay the right to keep and bear arms lip service in a general sort of way, but they do not support the specifics. Kind of like the politician that supports his gun ban after stating what a supporter he is of the Second Amendment.

6. Malum Prohibitum

I think the majority of "gun owners" are hostile to the Second Amendment, too.

Did you know that 32 percent of NRA members in the Annenberg poll supported the "assault weapons" ban?

In some states, there were actual majorities of NRA members supporting the ban!
    :shock:

7. The Tackman

The Tackman New Member

I don't think the presumptive democrat candidate would attempt to speak those words and people on the left compare him to JFK.

8. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Who said the following:

9. Malum Prohibitum

10. seajay

seajay NRA Certified Instructor

TOO EASY

It was John F. Kennedy

11. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Nope.

12. seajay

Hubert Humphrey

13. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

I had to cheat and look it up. I was surprised by who said it, but since I cheated I will not post who.

14. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

15. seajay

That was for MP's question...

16. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Ooops.

And I was equally shocked to see a quote like that attributed to him Thorsen.

17. seajay

I guess MP also answered his own question. I should read all the post first.

18. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

That's why I thought you were answering mine. :wink:

19. Malum Prohibitum

Yeah, well, I waited 2 minutes.

20. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Patience is a virtue. :lol: