Poplar Forest

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Nemo, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

No, actually that FB link doesn't give you any information about what this event is --or the purpose and reason behind it.

It does give a date, time, and address though. The address is in Virginia. How many Georgians on the Georgia Packing.org website should consider this important enough to drive to Virginia ?

3. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

With it being at Thomas Jefferson's "get away from it all" home, and most here being rather supportive of his ideas and politics I expect few or one would make this.

But I suspect one or several would probably put it on a list of-- thats a place I need to stop and visit. Its not far off my planned route for a visit across the M/D line if I go to yankee territory and on the way to DC for a planned visit there.

See below for the details.

Nemo

Same link as above.

4. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

According the FB page:
    Join us for Fire Bell in the Night, a dynamic new tour of Poplar Forest, featuring historic interpreters on Saturday, October 6.

Set in the aftermath of the Missouri Compromise of 1820, which evened out the number of slave states and free states in the Union by admitting Missouri as a slave holding state along with Maine as a free state and prohibiting slavery north of the 36⁰30’ parallel excluding Missouri. The program explores Jefferson’s anxiety regarding the compromise, which he said was “the death knell of the Union” and explores the reactions of the enslaved community including Burwell Colbert, his enslaved butler.

Tours begin with a stop inside Jefferson’s retreat where guests will be greeted by Colbert before being ushered into see Jefferson. After discussions with both of them about their reactions, the tour will continue out on the lawn where Dylan Pritchett and Robert Watson, two accomplished historic interpreters in African American folklore and culture will continue the conversation of how the Compromise, which ensured Southern slaves continued enslavement while securing freedom for others, may have affected the rest of the enslaved at Poplar Forest.

Tours will begin at 6 p.m. and run every 30 minutes through 8 p.m. Tickets are $25 and will be available below