Pool of weapons to choose from: can we share our handguns?

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by Boy Racer, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

Am I only entitled to carry "my own" weapons, and other credentialed persons in our home have to carry only theirs, or can we pool our pistols and carry whichever we want on any given day?

Can I borrow the wife's revolver for a day, and let her carry my automatic, or would there be other legal issues/ramifications if either of the weapons were ever actually used?

I don't want to get into a straw purchase/possession issue by carrying someone else's gun, I guess.

2. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

As long as they are of age for type of firearm and are not disqualified from owning/purchasing there would be no reason that it breaks the law.

As posted on many other threads "I am not a lawyer and your mileage may vary"

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Re: Pool of weapons to choose from: can we share our handgun

If you don't mind carrying a "girlie-gun." :wink:

4. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

You're fine. You will run into a problem if you want to carry NFA weapons that don't belong to you, however.

5. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

Is this correct? Our handguns aren't registered. We can sell them in this state FTF without a receipt. Does this mean that we can just swap guns with family or friends? Kinda like borrowing your friends truck :)

6. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

As long as they aren't NFA weapons and have not been reported stolen you are golden. Borrowing your friend's truck is more likely to get you in trouble in the event of an accident, at least as far as insurance is concerned.

7. budder

Well you could, but it's much better to get more guns without having to give away guns. Video games and hockey sticks I would let my friends borrow. My guns... not so much. Supervised at the range is one thing, but I can't think of too many people I would trust not to do something stupid with the gun (not clean it, run crappy ammo through it, etc).

8. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Thats another reason to own NFA's with a trust. Your wife and adult children go on the trust.

:ianal:

In GA there is no problem with this. If you live in a state where the pistol must be listed on your license then the weapon must appear on multiple licenses. Even NY allows a husband and wife to "share" a pistol between licenses.

By BATFE guidelines you are allowed to borrow a weapon for legitimate purposes. ie you can fly to Montana and hunt with a weapon owned by your guide or fly to a reciprocal state and borrow a handgun to carry.

9. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

I was only asking out of curiosity. Right, I'd probably let most try them out on the range but not lend them out.
    Thanks for the answers.

10. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Yea its a small list of folks I would just hand one of my guns to carry, but they would do the same for me. Sill I know I could count them on my fingers.

11. budder

Especially me. You gotta let me try them out at the range :righton:

12. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

:rotfl2:

13. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

If you don't mind carrying a "girlie-gun." :wink:[/quote:fh8uxli1]

:screwy: [-X =;

It's not really (1) hers or (2) girlie. Until I can afford yet another handgun, this time for her exclusively, she'll carry my old J-frame 5-shot .357 Mag. I just want to make sure if/when the investigating officer has to ask her about it, she won't be locked up for saying 'I don't know, it's my husband's gun'. :mrgreen:

14. Macktee

Macktee New Member

If you don't mind carrying a "girlie-gun." :wink:[/quote:agc3shig]

Hey! Youse bee cuttin' on my LadySmith?

Don' bee disrespecting my girl lak dat!!!

Girlie Gun my :censored: ass!!!!!

She be awhuppin' yore sorry ol' butt... :boxing:

15. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Just in case someone reading this just landed from Mars and doesn't know about budder...

Da boy is a gun whore!

Also, an ammo whore!

If you own it, he'll shoot it.

Especially will he shoot it if it's loaded with your ammo.....!

Not that he's cheap or greedy or anything like that. And, not that there's anything wrong with that if he is...

But............... :ninja: All I'm saying is, don't leave any ammo that fits his guns in your range bag if your range bag is where he can reach it...

Ya snooze... Ya looze!

:sleep:

16. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I used to be that way, now I am not.

Know what changed my mind?

The fact that the gun you just used to defend yourself can be taken as evidence until you have been completely cleared. Which sometimes can take months. It is not unheard of for them to take all of your guns for testing. So rather than the possibility of being defenseless when no gun stores are open, I only have to visit one of my friends and retrieve the firearm that they are currently "borrowing".

That's not to say I don't have limitations, the key is to only let them borrow a gun that is not as nice as what they already own.

17. budder

Oh, you're getting me wrong. I'm saying not to play hot potato with your carry guns. Bob really shouldn't be swapping his DA .357 for Bill's microcompact .32 and Brandon's USP .45 every week. Regardless of training, you dont' know what's happened to the gun when the other person has been dealing with it. I might be a little more accepting of it with a range trip and cleaning between each swap, but I would still never do that. Storing guns off-site is a good idea, and I commend you for being proactive, but that's not the casual swapping of guns discussed in the first few posts.

18. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Oh, then yes I did misunderstand you.

19. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

I was strictly speaking range purposes. I would think that you'd only want to carry what you owned and was used to...and had confidence in.

20. ber950

ber950 Active Member

In an ideal world yes, but life happens.