Police want to end open carry in Cleveland

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by MedicOxford, Jul 17, 2016.

1. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

And Kasich has said...err...No.

First, how is stopping open carry going to protect our police officers? Second, "shall not be infringed."

I listened on the radio to some officer who is a spokesman for a police group talk live a while ago and he was actually arguing that protecting our police is much more important than citizens claims to self-protection. He came off as incredibly self-absorbed and also kept saying "I'm a member of the NRA but its time for common sense measures."

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016

2. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

Disgusting. Is that even within the Governor's emergency powers in OH? I thought most states passed Katrina provisions after 2005.

3. Jonboy

Jonboy New Member

They won't shut up about it on Fox and are seemingly shocked that open carry is allowed anywhere. Do any news people do research ever? Sure, suspend open carry- it should work fine. Just look how well gun free zones have done.

4. Feral

Feral Active Member

Those who don't know the laws are typically shocked to learn when things they personally dislike are legal.

It doesn't fit their narrow world view.

5. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

You mean, it's legal to carry a handgun in public with it's hind end exposed, like with no clothing over it, as in nekked?!!! :shock:

Or a rifle?!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Quick, rescind such laws! The genteel leftists with mild constitutional fortitudes will have a heart attack if they see another one of those murder machines. /sarcasm

6. MedicOxford

MedicOxford New Member

They said that around the convention center they are able to "suspend" rights. I'm guessing the immediate area around it but are only able to do it so far from the venue...how is that legal?

7. Mrs_Esterhouse

Who is they? Where are "they" claiming this? Sidewalks? Source?

8. Dawgdoc

Dawgdoc Well-Known Member

Georgia Stephanopoulos this morning expressed bewilderment that "they" can ban carrying glass containers but a person can legally carry a loaded gun. What he should have realized is that the government will seek to ban, regulate, or tax whatever they can, whenever they can, and then should have expressed amazement that "they" can tell you how to drink a liquid.

9. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

The talking head was going on and on about the Governor needing to do the right thing, and if he didn't they need to get the President involved! As if we were Imperial Rome and Ceasar can decree anything he wishes!

10. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Private property and trespass would be my guess. Blanket prohibition, even if not legal, signed by the venue owners and those leasing might convince some that they can do so.

11. MedicOxford

MedicOxford New Member

Six block radius around the convention

http://youtu.be/rCFGqUtoYj4

12. MedicOxford

MedicOxford New Member

The dude in the vid is a total statist who hates rights...

13. Mrs_Esterhouse

Agreed. How do they "suspend" in a six block radius? I looked under Ohio's emergencies powers codes and could see nothing that would allow the Governor to suspend rights in a six block radius. I'm either mistaken, or the cops and the Governor are about to break the law.

14. StarJack

StarJack Well Aged Member

Good for Governor Kasich.

15. Mrs_Esterhouse

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/17/politics/cleveland-police-baton-rouge-security-open-carry/

Bold mine.

16. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

"Don't open carry, hide any gun you may have where I can't see it and I can close my eyes and wish upon a star that everyone is unarmed... (well, except me, Officer Friendly, that is.)"

It's the honest people that are openly carrying, I haven't heard of that many thugs or ne'er do wells carry any other way than concealed.

17. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Very well stated, Falls!

18. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

This is the big concern? Legal oc'ers? I think that the police have a lot bigger issues to worry about that that. With that said, I personally wouldn't be interested in oc'ing there - not with all of the protestors looking for conflict.

19. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

I'd bet a nickel about anyone worth a dollar could get that "ban" overruled the first morning it was in effect by the courts out there.

Nemo